Springwatch with Meg

Meg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, come on - dosen't anyone else feel a bit uneasy about this weather? It's more like mid-april here than the beggining of february. And I'm going to have to cut our grass this week-end [8-)] and I ain't never done that before at this time of year

I'm definately feeling springlike.  I do love the sun and it does lift the mood.  Saw my first bumble bee whilst hanging out the washing during the week and also a couple of butterflies.  My daffs are in bud and ready to burst.  The catkins are getting longer too.  Also saw a lizard scurrying up the wall of our house yesterday and on the way home from the shops, a hedgehog strolling along the grass verge, doing whatever it is hedgehogs do.

It's nice not to have the fires alight during the day and doors and windows open to let in some fresh air.  The washing is drying nicely on the line, and I do love the smell of washing when it's been blowing in the fresh air.  You can slap the iron on it as soon as you bring it in, and all that wonderful fresh airness fills the room.

Oh you are all cheering me up no end ! as in  a couple of weeks I will be back in 85 trying out the new mower ..All this talk of cranes ...I thought we had them ....then Chris pointed out that my cranes were bl..dy great storks !  Shows what I know about birds ..  we do have hoopoes  but only knew that when my son told me it was not a parakeet that I thought somone had let out !......Yesturday sat on the prom by Alum Chine Westbourne  in the sun  and there were people having lunch on the beach ....very warm so Spring is here too ...Only local birds I saw were jogging along the prom .....

Well i cut the grass! And was all hot and got some sun on my shoulders and arms [:)] lovely........although my neighbour came and told me off for wearing a vest as apparently i'd catch a cold..[blink]......it did cross my mind to put shorts on too! Early Feb.......crazy

Saw a load of them wee black and red gendarme beasties.

No cranes spotted. [:(] They must be avoiding me.

[quote user="Meg "]

No cranes spotted. [:(] They must be avoiding me.
[/quote]

Do you think they may of spotted you hanging out of the window with your gun ? [:D]

My pond is starting to fill up with all the local frogs singing there song, counted 15 heads this morning , but as the sun has been shining all day expect there is a few more now 

[quote user="Just Katie"]What can I do about toads?[/quote]

Katie what do you want to do with them ? I have loads , just leave them alone and let them do what toads do best ..............Croak!

They will keep your slugs down and scare you every time you lift a stone in your garden.

I love them .........spend hours pond side wtching them

Oh you could build them a pond if you want to do some thing for them, and then you will have tadpoles

It's not really a case of specific flight paths in either direction, there is a wide band for lack of a better description where the majority of the birds fly and where they will be in this band will vary depending on weather conditions. The birds will always try to use the most energy efficient following air streams and currents. In the last week the Cranes seem to be somewhat to the west of you, passing more from Charente along the border of Vienne and Haute Vienne and on to Indre.

Great egrets, Little Egrets and Cattle Egrets should be easily seen all over the place in western France, especially near lakes or marshes.

Chris

It was very exciting pads (for a saddo like me)! About 5 lots came over. The first i heard was all the noise and looked over towards the woods and slowly saw a cloud of them appear over the tops of the trees, then they came and flew right over my head. I had the camera in the field with me as i'd just been taking some piccies of the 'ground works' i'm doing over there. They are stunning to watch.

[:)]