Tap tap tap

Jackie

Yesterday a little bird kept tapping on our windows and he did this for most of the day. He would fly in from a nearby cherry tree, tap a few times and then return to the tree. This action was repeated time and time again.

I am glad to say that it was not a robin as those of us that come from Hampshire know that to be an omen of doom. Poles, I gather, think such is a sign of good news coming in a shortly to be received letter. Others believe that a new soul will soon arrive in the house! The most likely explanation is that he was just a bit thick and thought his reflection was a rival for the affections of his mate.

I am curious to know what species he was. Small light grey body with dusty black marks each side of the head and a white/light grey stripe from the back and across the top of the head. Two orange/pink blushes on each side of the body below the wings, any ideas..................................J 

Hello

Someone a bit more knowledgeable will have the answer but I;m thinking perhaps male Black Red Start?  We have a lots around and they are apparently quite a rarity in the UK.  As you say he was probably tapping at himself!

Well he/she is back again today and I think my description is not too accurate having looked up a picture of the male Red Start. This bird is very small and more grey/white than black and the blushes I refer to are just above  not below the wings on the back each side and quite faint. The female Red Start has more the colouring I am seeing. Had to close the window right up as our cat Ben is showing an unhealthy interest!.............J 

We used to look after a house nearby for some customers. We used to pop round and get the house ready for them, open the shutters, put the heating on and so on - As soon as the door shutter was opend, a crow used to attack his reflection, time and time again. He used to bash the glass so hard, he would bleed! Dawn used to clean the windows, and then have to do the door again with this 'stupid' bird! Thankfully they live here now, and they have a dog, which has stopped Mr Crow beating himself up!

Steve

Oh no!  This has just reminded me about the tap tap tapping of male birds on our windows all last spring.  They are seeing their reflection and being territorial little bleeders, they are trying to attach it.  It drove me nuts!

A reminder though, if you have decorative mirrors in the garden, best to cover them up for a while so the birds don't attack and hurt themselves.

We have a jay that constantly attacks his reflection in our office window - which has its upside in that it's a chance to get a really close look at these beautiful birds (yes - I know they have rather anti-social habits) it also scares the **** out of visitors, including my boss.

I had a blacky that used to sit on the new rear door's handle and attack it's reflection in the glass.

I had to fit a piece of conduit to the handle to protect it against his claws, and the masking tape I put on the door took AGES to scrape off later[:(]

Still love birs though.

Are you sure it's not a raven?   [:'(]

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
" 'Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door;
Only this, and nothing more."

E A Poe