The first cuckoo?

mint

Whilst out dog walking yesterday, the OH and I heard that distinctive harbinger of spring, the cuckoo.  Should it be here whilst the weather is hardly spring-like?  Is it en route to the UK?

Any advances on hearing this bird prior to Easter Sunday?  Chris, are you out there and can you come up with some suitably knowledgeable answers?

In the Vienne first "ob" posted to LPO Vienne...

14/03 Coucou gris. (première donnée 2008).  Coulombiers. Raphaël Bussière.

Which of course doesn't mean there wasn't one present before that date. If yours was singing I doubt it was on it's way to the UK, it had already chosen it's spot.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
No swallows alas.  But, we saw the cuckoo and the OH has been calling back and I swear it thinks the OH must be God's answer to a male cuckoo because it went a bit into overdrive and "cuckooed" back like crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

The swallows have been here a week now, but I heard a welcome sound, looked up and there were 3 bee eaters just overhead. First ones this year.

I think that they must be about the prettiest European bird (sits back in anticipation??)

They lool a bit like  http://images.google.com/images?q=bee+eater&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLR&um=1 .Very colourful and very goog at catching bees. Bee keepers here don't like them, I wonder why??[8-)]

Some fantastic photos here too http://www.jerome-guillaumot.com/gallery/2172707 .

For the sound http://www.soortenbank.nl/BIS/qtmovie.php?pagetitle=Merops%20apiaster%20zang/roep&thisurl=vogels/pictures/MEROPS_APIASTER_SONG.MOV&width=400&height=200 .

A raelly lovely sight, as long as you don't keep bees I suppose??[:D]

I saw the first bedraggled little swallow here in the Orne on 1st April, then two days ago we heard the cuckoo calling for the first time this year.     The swallows are busily collecting copious  amounts of lovely mud for thier little nests in our barn - spring hath sprung!!

You can have some of our ring neck doves if you want Chris? We got dozens! They must be the second most boring sounding bord in place! Second only to the spectacular looking hoophoe!! That really is a pre-historic looking machine, but what an eye catcher!

The ring necks also have the ability to produce the same size pooo as a goose, all over the place [:'(]...

You will know if they are about, because they make that funny 'churling' song almost all the time they are flying. Just look up.

Good luck with the bins 'cause they don't arf get a move on. If you can find one of their feeding perches then you will have a wonderful sight of them. I haven't found one yet [:(].

There are very few nesting sites for Bee eaters in Charente-Maritime, none in Deux-Sevres. So, depending on where you are in CM you could be  hours from a nesting zone in CM, Charente, Vienne or Gironde.  They require a very specific habitat structure, the right soil in the right place.

A not wonderful photo of one entering a nest hole, but they are fast.

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/unautremonde/Bee-eater.jpg[/IMG]

photo Planete Passion.

Chris

I'm sure if your OH thought they heard a Nightingale they probably did, not many birds sing at night and certainly not like a Nightingale, they do rather like the sound of their own voice. Once again they are not as common in Charente-Maritime as in many other Departements, but you have other birds there that make up for it.

Chris

But I love birdsong, Wooly.  In fact, my wanting to move house is just so's I could be further out in the countryside where hopefully the birdsong is not too drowned out by the traffic noise.

Chris, so what birds should I be looking out for here in south CM?