Hunting Season

AnneG

Very interesting report Nicos and so terribly sad. Thankfully, we also don't get many hunters around here, those that we do see appear to be quite responsible. Actually had a male pheasant at the back of the house yesterday. Garden bird list now up to 47.

Hmmmm...........sorry about the double entries, think I got up too early today !!!!!

Hi

It is great that the hunting season ends today and as I lost one of my goats to hunting dogs I will be glad  to to know there are less about but I do also think about the poor dogs who after getting one run out a week for a couple of months will now be confined to a kennel and cage for months on end.

So good news and bad really.

Panda

Panda- I know what you mean.

'We' have a small pack of about 10 dogs who are tied up ,on chains , outside all year . Some of them are in runs but most of them are beneath the tree for protection.

Even the locals feel sorry for them.

The highlight of their days are the twice daily feeds. Poor things.

For many reasons I will be happy that the season is about to end.  Not least because of the irresponsiblity of some hunters in my neck of the woods (no pun intended).  I have heard it expressed many times by the wives of such men (as it is invariably just the men who shoot) that 'They are all drunk before they start and drink all day'.  having seem some of the most basic rules of gun usage ignored, I can well believe it.

Another bit of peace I will get will be the reduction of the arguments next door.  A real stand-up ding-dong shouting match the other week along the lines of 'You only think of your own pleasure when you go off hunting for the day, what about me?' and much more

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Bud"][quote user="chris pp"]

badgers and creatures classified as nuisances are generally "hunted" throughout most of the year.

Chris

[/quote]

WRONG about the badgers Chris,,,,,,,,,,,again!
[/quote]

Oh dear..........................................................[:)][:)][:)]

Off subject a little but it is about badgers.[Www] Did anyone see the BBC program on badgers a few weeks back? It was very interesting and did state how these poor animals have been persecuted by idiots for hundreds of years. They are very intelligent and one scene that stands out for me was taken by a hidden camera under the ground in one of the sects showing a baby/youngster during a very loud thunderstorm standing on his hind legs covering his ears with his paws in fright. It was adorable. [:)] How anyone can take pleasure in killing them is beyond me and very sad. [:@]

The only time that they are not officially hunted is January until April, but they often become victims when foxes are hunted as the dogs enter the sets. They are of course frequently destroyed by poisoning but that's not legal and another matter.

Let's have the text.[:D]

Chris

[quote user="Pads"]

I would call only stopping in May as most of the year !!

And where are you get your fact from that they dont hunt them nearly all year ?[:)][/quote]

As Chris has almost correctly corrected the first of your unresearched statements ill not bother ;) & too answer your question,, Federation de chasseurs (sp?) & many hunters in many different departements.

Chris im impressed youve actually nearly turned full circle on your previous statement "they are hunted throughout the

year as considered "nuisable"
" please note anyone reading this that the bold text is not not true, misinformation, or plain & simply bull****.

Anyway, as Bugbears signature says,,,,,
Life is Short - Forgive Quickly - Love Truly - Laugh Uncontrollably" I know I am :D

[quote user="Bud"]Chris im impressed youve actually nearly turned full circle on your previous statement "they are hunted throughout the

year as considered "nuisable"
" please note that the bold text is not not true, misinformation, or plain & simply bull****.
[/quote]

Please note anyone reading this that the original quote says "badgers and creatures classified as nuisances are generally "hunted" throughout most of the year."

• 1 month later...

Championnat de France de déterrage de blaireau à Cluny : un concours inutile et néfaste pour les animaux sauvages

Les 16, 17 et 18 mai 2008 est programmé à Cluny (Saône et Loire) dans le cadre d’une « Fête de la chasse », un « championnat de France » de déterrage. Il s’agit d’un concours de chiens de chasse, dont les terrains de jeu seront les milieux naturels, et les « cibles » des animaux sauvages, en particulier des blaireaux.

Le déterrage a pour principe d’acculer un animal au fond de son terrier à l’aide de chiens. Ensuite un équipage creuse à l’aide de pelles et de pioches la galerie concernée afin de pouvoir attraper l’animal à l’aide de pinces puis de le mettre à mort ou, plus rarement, le relâcher à distance de son lieu de capture. Cela en pleine période de reproduction ! C’est la technique de chasse la plus cruelle pratiquée aujourd’hui en France. Elle est pourtant autorisée par un arrêté ministériel, y compris au mois de mai, lorsque les petits sont à peine sortis des terriers et encore dépendants des adultes.

Pour justifier le déterrage, les chasseurs invoquent généralement la régulation de certaines espèces, en réponse aux dégâts qu’elles occasionneraient aux activités agricoles. Cet argument n’est pas valable pour le blaireau, qui ne cause que des dégâts minimes aux cultures. Le blaireau se nourrit essentiellement de vers de terre, insectes, mollusques, micro-mammifères, fruits et tubercules. Parfois, les terriers creusés dans des parcelles agricoles peuvent ponctuellement causer de réels problèmes d’éboulement. Ce sont les rares cas où une intervention peut être nécessaire.

Mais le déterrage pratiqué dans le seul but de faire concourir des chiens pour un « loisir », ne présente aucune utilité, perturbe la faune sauvage et porte atteinte à la biodiversité.La CAPEN 71 et la fédération France Nature Environnement demandent que cette compétition ne soit pas autorisée, considérant qu’elle n’a aucune utilité publique et qu’elle porte atteinte à la préservation de la biodiversité

Signalons enfin que le blaireau n’est pas dans un état de conservation favorable. L’espèce est protégée en Grande-Bretagne, Italie, Irlande, Espagne, Grèce, Belgique, Pays-Bas et au Luxembourg.

L’observation des animaux sauvages dans la nature, l’information scientifique et la pédagogie de la préservation sont des activités accessibles à tous et plus éducatives pour valoriser et préserver la nature que cette « technique de chasse » cruelle.

La CAPEN 71 ajoute qu’un « Plan régional pour la conservation de la diversité biologique » s’avère de plus en plus utile à établir pour la Région Bourgogne.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hello the british,

This competition, when the young badgers are still educated by their parents,  is an absolute swindel!

If you like badgers, you may sign and make signed these following petitions :

One to ban the cruel practices of digging (badgers,  and foxes). In France badgers can be digged out their holes from mid-may! They are considered as a game. They only have three months free of harrassments... You'll find eveything (videos, etc.) :

http://www.abolition-deterrage.com/petition_deterrage.htm

One cyber-action  trying to cancel this even more stupid competition in Cluny :

http://www.cyberacteurs.org/actions/action.php?id=218

Thank you and excuses for my bad english...

Jean