Ragondin

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting back to original subject, how did you trap the creature in the cage in the first place, Cassis?  I saw that you changed the location of the cage.  Did you have to put some bait in?  Why didn't other creatures get into the cage?

Here in Deux Sèvres they place apples inside the cage, and if they catch another creature, they just let it go free.

Then, the spike method seems to be used , which I find barbaric, or shooting , which seems to be widespread.. ( probably the quickest way..)

Poison still exists, but it has to be placed by the authorities, nevertheless, it tends to disappear since it can destroy other species and even birds who coud eat the dead ragondins. ( And I can imagine the ragondins  have a slow pâinful death.. Does instant poison exist?)

Best thing would be for those creatures not to be born at all..

What about sort of a contraceptive  in apples  on the banks?? ( Yes, I know, I am naive...) 

Cathy and Frenchie - bait was a combination of carrots, apples and kiwi fruit.  Ragondins to date prefer kiwi and apples over carrots (the latter only touched after all else has gone). 

Rules here say that traps have to be checked daily.  Nothing else has been caught in the traps although there are rabbits and wildfowl (mallards and moorhens) plus frogs and toads in abundance around the lake.

I understand that poisoning of ragondins using anticoagulant poison (like warfarin for rats) used to be widespread, causing death by internal bleeding.  I don't know if it's still used - I wouldn't think it's a great idea to use any kind of poison near water and water courses.  I was sceptical of using poison for ragondins a few years ago when it certainly was the recommended and preferred method around here; the bait had to be soaked in the stuff but it seemed to me that fruit was ill-adapted to absorbing liquid poison in large amounts - not as effective as dry grain, for instance.