frogs

Belle

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Belle"]bugbear, you have hit the nail on the head 'all creatures have the right to live peacefully' I rest my case.[/quote]

Belle, You didn't used to work for a newspaper, by any chance ?.............................[:D][:D][:D]

Hello

I live within 15 metres of my lake which is over 1 hectare in size, I have frogs, thousands of them.  I love the noise they make and so does everyone who ever comes to stay with me.  It feels tropical, exotic, I can't really explain.  I spent one night under canvas on the lake side and I did find that a bit much at 4am but even so I can't say I hated it.

There is no solution (I have dogs, cats and lots of snakes they have no affect on the noise for more than a few seconds), you will have to fill it in, which is awful or move back to a city where you will obviously be happier!

Panda

Belle - just thank your lucky stars that you haven't got midwife toads, the ones that go "beep....beep....beep". I heard of a person whose neighbour sent the gendarmes round to complain that she had left some electronic devices on standby mode[:D]  That's what they sound like.

Midwife toads -they  make my favourite sounds in the garden and thanks to Chris PP I now know what they are. En masse they sound like wind chimes - a friend near a river has the windchime effect - but we are miles above sea level and have some in the area. I spend happy times calling them into the garden. Really. And the link Chris PP sent had a recording of them too  - so I can listen to it when in Blighty too.....OH thinks I have lost the plot though.

[quote user="chris pp"]

They are of course protected in law

[/quote]

I didn't know that frogs are protected. How does this reconcile with the fact that frog's legs are eaten in France? Is it just one type of frog that is protected?

The frog legs now eaten in France are imported from Asia.  I used to rather like eating them, but since I found out that the legs are cut off whilst the frog is still alive and kicking, I've kind of gone off them  [+o(]

If you're looking for an argument you won't get one from me.  I have eaten halal meat, and I do know how it is slaughtered.  I wouldn't make a habit of it eating it though.

If we choose to eat animals we have to accept that they will be slaughtered in order for us to eat them, that doesn't mean to say that they should have to suffer unnecessarily though.

Absolutely correct, the bulk of the frogs legs sold in France come from South East Asia. In addition there are some licensed frog farms in France and Belgium, but the species used have in general been introduced from Bulgaria and Greece, then captive breed in France.

Chris

Can I just say that and I'm sure others with nearby frog ponds will bear this out, the frogs are very noisy at the moment, but this level of noise does not last all summer as Chris PP has suggested, it does die down a lot after the mating season finishes (as the tadpoles would not get any sleep with all that racket going on night after night)[:D]

On many summer nights with windows wide open, we hear nothing from the nearby farmer's ponds that are so noisy at the moment, so Belle, it will not last all summer, you will get a respite and a significant drop in the noise level and quite soon.

April-May is also the only time that we notice them, Ron.

Maybe ours had an ASBO slapped on them before we got here as they tend to be quite restrained - certainly never enough to drown out conversation, and rarely at all in the vicinity of where we may be sitting.  They tend to grope away on the other side of the pond.

With many of the "Green frogs" and "Brown frogs" either species or hybrids breeding continues through summer, sure the noise level drops but it doesn't stop. Exactly the same with tree frogs, chant right through till winter.

Chris.[;-)]

How privileged you are to hear the sound of nature. Nuture it, and respect it. Or quite frankly move. Every living creature has a place on this world. If we can't respect a pond full of frogs, then we are in a very sorry, sad state ourselves.

I cannot believe that someone could be shallow enough to complain about the noise made by frogs, and have 8 shallower friends, who left because of the noise!

Pond = frogs...... simple as that.

Frogs make noise, so do the crickets and other insects and nightbirds. If you lost the frogs, how would you go about a mass cull of the crickets? Turn your lawn into a mass of sticky traps?

We are surrounded by ponds, in fact we have one a metre away from our house in our back garden, the kitchen looks out onto it, and our bedroom over it. We have at least 20 in that pond. Out of the front of the house, we have another pond, and a stream, and a large lake, all full of frogs. Our neighbours have 3 or 4 large ponds, that they breed frogs in. None of our friends have walked out in the evening because of the noise, they all love it and find it fascinating and we certainly haven't lost any sleep because of it.

We came from an area where we had helicopters flying over all times of day and night, tanks thundering past throughout day and night, lorries cars etc.... I certainly know which I prefer,

IT'S CALLED LIVING IN THE COUNTRY!!!!!!

(Must stress to the cats that frogs are a protected species though..... they do like to scare them! [:D]

[quote user="steve"]

We came from an area where we had helicopters flying over all times of day and night, tanks thundering past throughout day and night ....

[/quote]

Let me guess .... Baghdad? [:D]

I have read these postings about the frogs with great interest & I can see the points of view of all sides here.

Yes, the frog noise can come as a bit of a shock, (laughing Hyenas come to mind!) But, once you realise that they are part & parcel of living in the French countryside, then I think you  have to have a sense of humour about it.

We lived in Spain & the Cicadas (night time chain saws) came as a surprise to us at first, just as the frogs did when we moved here. I have to agree though that country life is wonderful & those Cicadas & frogs were here long before the human, car & motor bike (sorry Bugbear!) moved in.

The frogs do wake us up sometimes, but we love the windows open all year round & the owls, snuffling badgers, hedgehogs, nightingales and ... yes the frogs are all part of this wonderful environment.

They are all natural sounds of the planet, I expect our snoring & other bodily noises wouldn't sound too great to a frog anyway

It's all a bit like road noise, you won't think about it after a time... really.. you won't!

I always sleep with the windows open (curtain closed).

In the UK, the noise of the passing traffic would build up from 5 am and I would have to get up and close the windows.

Here, I rather enjoy the sound of the dawn chorus...

This is a reply mainly to mooky and steve, mooky I had to shake my head at your comment, YOU say to me that I should repect the sound of nature, I gave you lots of sympathy when your noise was upsetting you, i.e neighbours, I class those B----y  frogs as my noisey neighbours, they drive me mad du ring the day, and keep me awake at night, I can't write to the gendarms like you, maybe very shortly your neighbours will be gone, mine won't,and they will be back next year. Steve, how dare you call me shallow, I wouldnt have dreamt of saying that to you, I have lived all my life with traffic noise, I could have touched the trains at the bottom of my garden, we had one going past every half hour, none of that was a problem to us, so instead of calling you shallow I would have understood that different noises mean different things to different people, also incase you think moving is an option, it isn't, we couldn't afford to.