Are barn-owls dangerous?

I've cropped it and made it into a jpeg Lisa and thanks for sending it. One more question I'd like to ask...what direction does the wall face?

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/unautremonde/owl1.jpg[/IMG]

I don't think you really have to "go up with a tape measure"[:D]

Chris

It faces due west Chris. What I find interesting is why the owls keep wanting to nest in the house despite numerous empty and semi-derilict barns around. Did they nest in the grenier generations back and develop an instinct to nest here? One actually got in to the house one day and perched on the washbasin (I have a photo somewhere.) Another house in the hamlet has a barn owl that perches on the window ledge. Whilst they are obviously totally wild creatures to be treated with extreme respect and caution, I do wonder if they have got used to their human neighbours to some degree.

regards

Lisa

[quote user="LisaJ"]

It faces due west Chris. What I find interesting is why the owls keep wanting to nest in the house despite numerous empty and semi-derilict barns around.

regards

Lisa

[/quote]

Some warmth from the house?

Unlikely to be searching for warmth, not really a barn owl requirement.

It does sound possible that she always used that space to enter the building and has continued as there is obviously enough space, bit hot all the same I would have thought. With regard to the presence of humans, I don't think they are that bothered and get used to the comings and goings as long as a certain distance is respected.

Chris

thanks Chris - in the meantime we have to sell our UK house and finalise the move - before we move in the owls! Wish us luck

(it seems the buyers of our buyers have found a ... buyer- if only we had the Scottish system we would be home and dry. Now we wait for contract day!). going over for 3 weeks soon, can't wait to see 'our' red kites up there in the Jura

It wasn't this particular owl who used the space to enter the building as it has been blocked off for about 20 years as far as I know, more like her umpteenth great-granny. Do the roosting / nesting places get handed down? How do the babies know where to roost? Does anyone know how large the individual territories are?

regards

Lisa

Roosting and nesting places are certainly not handed down, nothing could be further from the truth. As soon as the young are considered to be old enough the mother will chase them away from her territory even to the point of attacking them, no actual harm caused.

I have no idea how large an area a barn owl will defend, probably quite large, hunting area can be as much as 5 or 6 square kilometres if required.

Chris