Ouch, what bit me?

Sunday night the top of my foot started itching, woke up in the early hours of Monday in pain, my foot felt and looked as though it had been scalded, complete with a big (about the size of a 2 Euro coin) fluid filled blister.  What on earth could have bitten me to have caused this?

Or maybe horsefly bite. They seem to be particularly vicious this year, and it seems many people are having pretty bad reactions to unknown bites, just like yours! My friend's leg swelled up to elephant proportion, and she had to have cortisone and anti-histamine injections as well as bandages....

That's how I react to mosquito bites. Large painful blister, itches like mad, swells up yuk....[+o(]

I end up getting the blister lanced to relieve the pressure and then walk about with yellow muck seeping out through the dressing and the flies following me down the street... Oh isn't summer wonderfull!!!

Don't think it would be a horesfly as you certainly feel then b***ers bite you, whereas the little mozzie is much more sneaky

Definately a mozzie, thats just how I react, it also goes very hard/tight around the blister, and the oozing is nasty. I have been told that vineager is good to stop the itching but not so good on the blister [:'(]

[quote user="Atty"]

Definately a mozzie, thats just how I react, it also goes very hard/tight around the blister, and the oozing is nasty. I have been told that vineager is good to stop the itching but not so good on the blister [:'(]

[/quote]

Vinegar is good for jelly fish stings, but then again so is urine [+o(]  Never heard of it for mozzies though. Boots sting relief works well, also on hornet stings.

Sorry - should have said on my last reply - As soon as you realise you have a bite use tea tree oil, it really works. I only found this out last year and using this early on the bite, then it dosen't develop into a really bad blister.. I don't know about putting tea tree on an open blister though - ouch [+o(]

This year for the first time (touch wood...!) I have not had a bad reaction to horse fly bites.  I have been taking centrum multivitamins performance (it has extra vitamin B) as recommended by a lovely nigerian chemist in the UK.  He said that the vitamin B puts the horse flies off.  I have to bring a good stock back when I visit the UK.  I have also been taking antihistamine tablets every night and I think because that is in my blood stream it is lessening the effect.  Last year I was not taking this medication and my legs blew up like tree trunks with weeping sores (NICE..!).

Suey

Yes, I kinda figured that JK.  I don't mind.

Still, the dog in the photo on the link below doesn't have swollen eyes like that, so I'm still curious.

http://www.naturanimal.com/chiens/races/race,chien,Dogue%20de%20Bordeaux,83,1.htm

Handsome beast !  Are they generally good natured??  I'd definitely think twice before going anywhere near him/her.

They're one of those dogs that you buy on a whim, 'tis true!

I think, for once, almost everything we had read about the race before picking her up became true.

1) She slobs after drinking, badly.

2) She hates being alone.

3) She's as strong as an ox.

4) She's excellent with children.

Apparently they're good swimmers too, with slightly webbed toes, but she refuses to swim.

Adores water, splashes around like mad.

The swelling came around very suddenly at midnight. It was disconcerting to say the least.

Eyes and mouth, but she was perfectly content throughout.

We woke the vet up (for the second time - first time she had licked a toad, again at midnight...).

He said it was a common reaction to an insect bite but to keep an eye out for breathing abnormalities, which is exactly what he said about the toad incident. "Perfectly normal, just bring her in if she starts, you know, dying". [:-))]

So of course this entails staying up all night whilst she sleeps like a baby!

Took well over 24 hours to get back to normal.

I had pretty bad allergies as a child and often ended up with eyes swollen shut like that, grass fights on the way home from school didn't help, mother was so very proud. [:D]

[8-|] Agrred the horseflys are biting well , i got tagged again the other night whist getting some photos of a murder of crows , blistered and statred to weep within 12 hrs , applied some after bite ( amonia based ) but twas still weeping so popped it a reakl good squzze and tried to get all the gunky liquid owt !!! , certainly stopped the redness spreading and the lump in thee middle has gone [:D][:D] , prob get a little scar but tis better than thee itchiness of joy ..

[8-|][8-|] Tip for thee wise , for years whilst fishing been using an avon product called skin so soft in woodland , indeed keeps thee midgis and tother biters off thee !!! http://avonshop.co.uk/shop/product.asp?pf_id=4982 , used deet jungle formula and a few tothers but nowt is as good as thee avon stuff .Whilst walking the banks of the river hull ( a perticular bad area for horseflys ) , i applied the avon and my mate applied the jungle formula , as we were talking of the merits of each  a horsefly popped up and bit him on the hand !!! he could not get into my lure bag quick enought to get the  avon  [;-)][;-)]

[:)] Tis that good even thee royal marines use it http://www.wyrdology.com/edinburgh/midges/avon.html

Also anything with deet in it hates plastic and melts it quick sticks no such probs twith the avon , well worth tagging a few bottles i never go fishing twithout it [:D]

I remember many years ago in Greece spraying my feet and ankles with the old Deet stuff. One problem - nice shiny new gold sandles left on while spraying (OH was in the "aren't you ready yet" frame of mind, so I was in a bit of a rush [blink] ). Half hour later sandles stuck to feet - melted Och [:'(]

• 2 weeks later...

Had something very similar last week. One "bite" after a day or so became more "bites" with the same blistering and itchy pain. Went to the pharmacist, who referred me to a doctor, and it was an allergy to holly in the garden and would have spread more. I've never had an allergy to holly before either?