Butterflies

Paul

Could someone please tell me if theLanguedoc/Provence has the same butterflies as found in Southern England's gardens and perhaps other varieties too? When living in the UK we planted our garden as far as possible to encourage butterflies with buddleia, sedum etc. Our garden at our new home at Uzes has very few flowering plants and we were wondered whether the same plants are likely to do well here and have the same attraction and what other plants would go down well with the local papillons? Smile [:)]

In a word, No, it generally has the same as the UK plus many more. I will be making a list soon of the butterflies of France, (French / Latin / English), with where they are to be found, photos etc. but as usual it's a time thingy for me, still trying to get the wild flowers on the website when I can grab a moment or two.

Chris

Hi Paul

We live in the Aude and have found that buddleia, in particular, attracts a variety of beautiful butterflies, carpenter bees, bumble bees, dragonflies, hummingbird hawk-moths to the garden.  Lavender plants are also popular.  Both species seem to thrive down here so you should have no trouble planting them.

Good luck with your garden.

Sharon

could anybody try to explain why the Swiss authorities are forbidding the import of buddleias???? We have many here in the UK, 5 different colours, and fantastic for butterflies. Cannot understand how they are listed as non grata on same level as japanes knotweed, etc?