NEW HENS

I'm getting my hen house and run ready for 6 POL hens.  I used to keep hens years ago and now can't wait to have some more - they are so comical and the eggs are fantastic.

I remember giving them layers mash or pellets and grit - am I forgetting anything else (apart from water and fresh greens) - is there something medicinal I should give them now and again to rid of worms, infections etc?

After reading other posts I have decided to totally enclose the run as we have buzzards. kestrels etc overhead and hadn't thought about bird of prey attacks... until now.

Any advice welcome.

Other than the layers pellets and grit (crushed oyster shell) I would just worm them twice a year - I use Flubenvet as there's no egg withdrawal period, available from the UK on the net.

There is an excellent forum that already has quite a few French members that you will find very useful  http://forums.thepoultrykeeper.co.uk/

• 4 weeks later...
Remenber to use straw or shredded paper in the nest box , not hay , as hay can carry red spider mite , which if not treated can kill them and once you have it , its nearly impossible to get rid of. You can buy a good hutch wash to clean the hut down with every few weeks to help keep it away.