Forged notes

opas

What is the law here regarding forged notes?

I have a Danish friend and yesterday she was telling me that she went shopping on wednesday, handed over a 500 euro note in Leroy merlin got 300+ notes back in change and went across the road to Auchan to buy something else. When she gave in a 50 euro not she noticed the girl checking more than the usual feel and look that is given to a note. She then noticed it had a tear in one corner and thought that was the reason for the scrutiny so offered her another which was refused. The assistant said it was fake and that she was keeping it. My friend has very basic french and probably went from french to Danish to English in equal quantities. Someone else was called and they too said they were keeping the note, she showed them her receipt of Leroy Merlin(about 10 mins old) and the rest of her purse but they were not budging(she wanted the note back to try and get somewhere in Leroy ) now my friend says that in Denmark if this happens , the store has to give a receipt for the money so it can be checked with the bank. I Know this used to happen when I worked in a supermarket in UK............but Auchan have a 50 euro note now and my friend cannot prove it!

What can she do and what should any of us do if it should be our misfortune next time?

Some thing simular happened to me in Manchester in a music shop , a young chap took  a fifty pound note from me and wouldnt let me have it back. I didnt trust him so asked him to ring the police as I wasnt leaving . he soon backed down and gave it back to me. I was sure it was OK as I had got the money from my bank. I found a police man out in the street a few mins later and reported it to him, he said he should of given me a receipt and promised to look in to it and visit the shop. He had my details but I never heard from him again [:(]

In france I have had 100 euro notes given back to me and , been told non ..... always assumed they couldnt change it , even though I have been in large stores , but maybe they just didnt trust them...............  

Would I be correct in reporting this to the Police municiple nearest to where we live , I was thinking of taking my friend along this afternoon . I suppose I could find the one nearest to the store, but that is in Perpignan about 15 k from where we live.

I have found this:

Que faire lorsque l'on se retrouve avec un faux billet ?

Malheureusement pour vous,

vous ne pourrez obtenir aucun remboursement. Par ailleurs, ne vous

avisez pas de jeter ce billet car vous avez l'obligation de le

rapporter à un commissariat ou de le faire remettre (directement ou via

votre banque) à la banque de France
. L'article L.162-2 du Code

monétaire et financier indique : « Toute personne qui a reçu des signes

monétaires contrefaits ou falsifiés a l'obligation de les remettre ou

de les faire remettre à la Banque de France ou à l'administration des

monnaies et médailles, selon qu'il s'agit de billets de banque ou de

monnaies métalliques. La Banque de France et l'administration des

monnaies et médailles sont habilitées à retenir et éventuellement à

détruire les signes monétaires qu'elles reconnaissent comme contrefaits

ou falsifiés ».

I understand that forged noted have to be taken out of circulation. What I cannot understand is how somone can take a note from someone else and declare it forged on the spot , without proof! Surely it is for the Banque de France to decide, so surely a receipt should be issued untill clarification has been received from the bank.  That is the way I am familiar with, I am not saying that I would be any happier if I was given a bit of paper intead of a forged note, but at least I and my friend would know that no other fraud has taken place.

I always have bad thoughts when I see this sort of post.

You don't think that the assistant in Auchan assumed because of your friend's accent/lack of fluent French she was just passing through on holiday and decided to chance their arm at "earning" an extra 50€ do you?

Not quite, the friend didn't shrug and walk away but kicked up a fuss.

Given the collusion and ba**s it would take to front out such a scam, and the fact that 2 French shop assistants, quite likely being observed by other curious or bemused customers, persisted in declaring the note fake, I find it almost impossible to believe that this was anything more than a well intentioned but badly handled mistake rather than anything more sinister or nefarious.

With respect, whilst I can fully appreciate the difficulty of arguing in an unfamiliar foreign tongue, the real reason the friend came away empty handed was because she didn't tough it out and insist she be given either the note back or a receipt, failing which she should have simply called the police.

Whatever they have then, be it real or fake, its not neccessarily through the malicious reason Opas and Benjamin suggest.

Let's not forget too that if it was fake the friend was already €50 down before when she walked through Auchans door.

Where on earth does one get a €500 note by the way, I've not seen one yet [8-)] [:D]

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Where on earth does one get a €500 note by the way, I've not seen one yet [8-)] [:D]

[/quote]

The foreign exchange places here always try to give E500 notes if possible, they have to be "prevailed upon" to give me nothing bigger than E50 notes, they seem bemused by the idea that people may not want a note that big. Maybe they dont appreciate the actual value.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"][quote user="ErnieY"]

[/quote]

Nobody will accept them because they're usually all fakes.....[;-)]

[/quote]

From the bank , I did mention this lady is Danish and is not short of a bob or two. Which doesn`t mean to say that she is happy to part with a 50 Euro note in exchange for an argument.

So the concesus is that she should have asked them to call the police , I beleive she has nothing to hide.

What happens if you get the situation where the store find out that the note is not forged and have not given any kind of reciept? Does the store then look for the Danish lady, do they hell![:@]

A reciept should always be given and if it does turn out to be forged then the matter can be traced further back. I would be caling  for le flick!!

Have you advised your Danish friend to chase the note and go back to the store and check Opas? If not then would you be willing to go with her and chech? Please let us know the outcome...

• 1 month later...
I was paid in 500 euro notes for my car sold on Ebay.  I was very worried, but had struck up quite a relationship with the guy that bought the car and he arrived with his son, mum and dad and sister for a day out in the country.  I laughed about the note and the possibility of forgery and rang my friend in the local shop, we all trouped round there and she passed the notes through a sort of ultra violet scanner she had.  She said they were OK, so we all went off to the bar to celebrate the sale of the car. Now we have been trying to get rid of these notes and they have been causing security alerts everywhere.  In Brico Depot Béziers the cashier had to call for a security guard to takeit away and bring her enough change to finish our sale.................The notes are a wonderful purple colour, lovely but I have put the rest in the bank.  We still see the guy who bought our car so he would hardly have given us forged ones as he took them straight out of the bank to pay us........