What bird is this please!

Frank

Hi everyone, I have had visiting my garden over the last few days a pair of birds which at first sight are similar in colour/size to female blackbirds. They are both brown, with the underside a lighter shade of brown, (but not much lighter) almost velvety looking, large with quite 'rotund' bodies. One is distinctly larger than the other and I have just seen them doing what could only be descibed as a possible mating dance! I have three books on brids in Europe and cannot find one that resembles them. They appear in the mornings and again in the evenings. Any help with identification greatfully appreciated, many thanks in advance

Jetlag

Hi Russethouse, thanks for your reply. i have had a look at the link, but they are nothing like the one shown. No sign of red that I could see, just two shades of brown, dark and darker! I did think I had spotted a couple of white specks on the tip of the tail and head, but on closer inspection with binoculars, nothing! They tend do more hopping around the garden and take flight in much the same way as a blackbird and are slightly bigger. Will keep a lookout tomorrow to see if I spot any other marks. Thanks again

Jetlag

[quote user="jetlag"]Hi everyone, I have had visiting my garden over the last few days a pair of birds which at first sight are similar in colour/size to female blackbirds. <snip> [/quote]

Which is just what they are, given your description, where you see them, the time of day you see them and their behaviour.  Females in breeding plumage often appear lighter brown underneath than they do on top. Have a look here, for example

http://www.aves.be/images_aout08/turdus_merula_juv_ombret_300708_jfouarge_MG_2701.jpg

As you've probably worked out [:)], that ain't no mating dance, rather a territorial display - it's that time of year, after all! [:)]

A+

Craig