A couple of bugs for identification

I've recently found several beetle-type bugs, upside down usually waving their legs in the air!! I got a photo of one when I flipped it over. I've no idea what it is but the antennae must be a big clue. The nearest I can find by browsing photos is a "June Beetle".... but it's only just May! Anyone recognise this? It's about 3cms long.

[IMG]http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/nevjames/beetle-1.jpg[/IMG]

Today, in what we laughingly call our lawn, I spotted loads of holes each with a bug guarding the entrance. When you approach the bug immediately retreats, but it looks a little like one identified for me last year by Clair as a "field cricket". Again about 3cms long. Is this where crickets live then?

[IMG]http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/nevjames/bug2.jpg[/IMG]

Sid

I think the top one is a maybug. You get them in England - they are in the habit of colliding with people. As for the other one I am not sure, I know however that I would not want to pick a fight with it.

Yes, the first is a may bug I think as I have them as well. They seem to come out of the ground and yes, collide with people . Normally happens in the evening. They then swarm around my Magnolia tree.

The second bug, I aslo have in my grass and they are funny things as they seem to make a large hole, considering they are not exactly that big. I think they are a type of Grasshopper and later on in the summer for some reason, they end up hiding behind all the shutters on the window, not in the ground.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Etoile, a May Bug! A quick Google Image search confirms that! Brilliant! [:)]

Yes, Vida, they do make a large hole and the grass gets worn away at the entrance, leading me to think it was a vole or some small animal initially; I was surprised to see that it was in fact an insect (do you still call them insects when they that size, I wonder?). I'm tending to believe it is a cricket, but await more replies!

Sid 

Great photo of the field cricket - good to know that I am not the only one lying down in the fields  photographing these!

I took pics of one just like this last week and it is an immature field cricket as it does not have wings yet.

It takes time to photograph these critters as they nip back into the burrow when you get close.

On a following visit to the location my field cricket had dragged a dead insect to his burrow and by the following day only crumbs remained - he had been been feasting...

The may bug is also known as a cockchaffer I think I am correct in saying.

It'll be a June bug in 26 days time..... 

Seriously, when I was a kid I remember people referring to both May and June bugs.  What's the difference (apart from the time of year they put their heads above the parapet)?

I must say I do rather like these bugs and beetles myself.  Fascinating.

Ha ha! Thanks Mayennaise; I would worry about it if we actually had a lawn! Ah yes, I remember those. In fact it's just grass, which browns off anyway every summer.

I didn't find the May bugs in the grass though, it's the crickets which make those shallow burrows. The May bugs seem to like the house!

Sid

The May bug/cockchafer is occasionally known as the June bug but the more common June bug is much smaller and doesn't have the wonderful "fans" on the antennae. Allong with coliding with people they make a fantastic sound when they colide with street lights.  Subsequently the reeal away to recover then repeat the experience over and over.  What fun, must be a bit like banging your head against a brick wall..............

Grumpy