rust coloured falcon

We have a pair of large falcons ( >45 cms tall) nesting in the wall of an old barn, here in the Deux Sevres.  The sexes are identical, light brown or rust head, wings and back, pale underparts, black tips to wings and the tail.  Distinctive black eye "teardrop".  The wings are typically falcon-like, i.e. not feathery or "ragged" and these birds are a good bit bigger that the local kestrels, but not as big as a buzzard.  They have been bringing back some sizeable rodents and I think a mole, whilst we have been watching.  With binoculars, we can see into the nest and I am sure that we have at least one egg which is almost orange in colour.  I'm trying to set up a telephoto lens to get a clear photo, but in the meantime, any suggestions as to who our guests might be?

No, not kites, no forked tail.  They look like very big kestrels, but brown heads not grey and the tail feathers are brown, black tipped.  They are constantly in the air, flying circuits around the neighbouring fields, but I have not seen either bird hovering as kestrels do.