crows

Need abit of advise on crows please, have just returned from the uk, my friend has moved house, of which is surrounded by trees, in said trees, are loads of crows nests, and the noise is deafening, I have tried to reasure her that as soon as the babies are gone, so will the noise, was I right to tell her this, and how long are the babies in the nest for. Thank you.

Crows start making a racket at around daybreak from 1.1 to 31.12 each year.

We lived next door to a rookery in the UK.  They always make a racket - but with time you et used to it and do not notice anymore. 

Probably similar to living near a busy road or an airport.

Our resident crows in the UK were not particularly noisy - the only time they really made a racket was if a young at fallen from nest, or when young were learning to fly and were at risk from cats or foxes. They then would go absolutely (and rightly - they are very good parents) berserk to try and frighten and distract the pray. If we heard it, we would look at the window and see cat or fox and youngster in danger, and would regularly save the day. The last time I did so, the young crow crab walked to the lay-by in front of our house and was run over by a taxi leaving the lay-by ... at about 6am.  Once the young could safely fly - noise would stop.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a bit behind the times with this one, but if there are loads of them it sounds more like Rooks in which case they are resident and rather noisy all the year. I know, I lived with a rookery on the other side of the road as a child, wonderful.[:D]

Chris

Thankyou Chris, I don't suppose there really is a definate way of knowing whether these are crows or rooks, there does seem to be alot of them, but there are also loads of nests up in the trees.