Birds flying into windows

We have been hearing thumps against the windows over the past couple of weeks - birds flying straight at them.

Some have flown away,apparently unscathed. A few have fallen, stunned, onto the patio recovering slowly.

A couple of blue tits have been found dead, and today was the last straw - a woodpecker who has been entertaining us while eating literally dozens of fatballs all spring was killed.

Is there anything we can do to stop this. The offending window is a large one, in the half converted barn, so no shutters or curtains.

Kathy

[quote user="confused of chalus"]A couple of blue tits have been found dead, and today was the last straw - a woodpecker who has been entertaining us while eating literally dozens of fatballs all spring was killed. [/quote]

Friends who have much the same problem have stuck motifs or designs on the window at the most appropriate height They have also added a couple of metal tubular windchimes outside aswell. Seems to be working for them ... but these additions might not be on your most desired list.

Sue

I think the RSPB may do some stickers that are black and in the shape of birds in flight. Saw them in 'Spring Watch' on BBC1 last week as they were discussing this problem. Perhaps you can have someone send some out to you.

Those RSPB stickers work well, and peel off without leaving marks whenever you want to clean the windows - if you do yours. They used to be just black bird shapes, which I preferred. We need some for France, as we've been having pigeons flying into the widows, but luckily they have escaped unscathed so far.

Thanks everyone, I think I can manage something like the bird stickers, at least temporarily until we are living in the place. (about ten years at the present rate![:)])

Can't tell you how much we will miss that woodpecker! Hours of entertainment from our dining room window as he smashed his way through the fat balls.  Beats the World Cup any time. OH says to look on the bright side - he was costing us a fortune![:(]

[quote user="confused of chalus"]Thanks everyone, I think I can manage something like the bird stickers, at least temporarily until we are living in the place. (about ten years at the present rate![:)])

Can't tell you how much we will miss that woodpecker! Hours of entertainment from our dining room window as he smashed his way through the fat balls.  Beats the World Cup any time. OH says to look on the bright side - he was costing us a fortune![:(]

[/quote]

What are fat balls?