Spiders in southwest France

gjp23

Hi folks,

No photo, cos' I didn't think to get one, but I'll have a look again tomorrow, but . . . . .  there's a bright yellow and green spider about 5cm from front to back (i.e. including legs) in a web across my blackberry bush.  It's legs are what I would call 'chunky' as opposed to the usual spindly spider legs.  It's the first time I've seen one like this but, in the absence of a photo, does anyone have any idea what it might be?  The underlying question is, of course, might it be poisonous?

Thanks in anticipation.

Gordon

(northern part of 47, Lot-et-Garonne)

You are quite safe unless you are a male Wasp Spider in which case if you care to mate you will be eaten.

The Wasp Spider is a beautiful spider and makes an unusual web with a strip of heavily woven zig-zag web in a band towards the centre of the web.

It is not clear exactly why they do it - it may give off UV and attract bugs or it may be that it is so mammals see the web and avoid it - there are probably other possible ideas too

They usually hang around for a few weeks and it is worth keeping an eye on the web as if something gets caught in it they wrap it up and then eat it.

Thanks Dog, much appreciated, especially without a photo.  I did try and upload a photo, but it looks like there's a bar on uploading stuff, probably to manage space.

As always, once you see one for the first time, another few pop up - we've now identified four webs with this spider in!!