Cranes Heading South

seb47

It's surprising how much drag is reduced by flying in a V formation.

I have been flying everyday this week and not seen any grues.

They use the thermals over our hamlet to regroup and gain height, they fly in great corkscrews calling to each other to reform a large efficient V.

I have got some photos of the melee while they regain the formation.

... and again, another two groups about ten minutes ago. I hear them from some distance away and they are a magnificent sight, must have been about 100+ in this last group that just went overhead. Their plaintive cry as they disappear into the distance makes me feel quite sad for the end of the summer ....

I heard them yesterday for the first time, then spotted them in the classic formation. It's a heart rending sound somehow - it seems to pull at you. Watching them fly almost over Hautefort Chateau is quite a sight. Then heard them again this morning at around 5.30am. Someone told me that they make their noise to encourage the leader to keep going.

We also heard and then saw them for the first time yesterday - we're in Hautes-Pyrenees. There are usually several hundred (i think the figure for last year or the year before was 700) over-wintering at the lake near us (Puydarrieux - also a nature/bird reserve).

A couple of years ago we met up with one of the rangers there who let us look at them through her spotting-scope - I was amazed at how exotic and wonderful-looking they are in close-up!

Lou

There was an interesting report about Les Grues on our local radio (4) this morning. Apparently they move from Poland, Russia, the Netherlands and other Northern places to search for winter food - not because of the cold weather. They over winter in the Camargue, Spain, Morroco. They're slightly earlier this year as the north westerly wind has helped them on their journey.

• 4 months later...

LPO Champagne Ardenne - All about La Gru Cendrée.
http://champagne-ardenne.lpo.fr/sommaireC.htm

Follow the migration and see where they are.
http://champagne-ardenne.lpo.fr/grues/point_sur_la_migration.htm

Record your observations on-line. Please do this, it's really simple and assists in building a complete record of their movements.
http://champagne-ardenne.lpo.fr/grues/formulaire_grues.htm

Chris

[quote user="nectarine"]It must be spring - I heard the distinctive cry of a group of cranes and saw their V-formation high overhead, heading back north. Any other sightings?[/quote]

Yep, just seen (and heard) a large formation flying over.

They've been flying over the last couple of days, but weather been too awful to see them.  However, small group flew over about 2:30pm this afternoon.  spent a bit of time circling, then headed off in a different direction.

• 8 months later...