Simple Translation?

Rez

Hi people!

I just wondered if anyone could translate this small 15 word statement for my planning application... It would be a great help to me - I could send you over some Marmite or perhaps some Branston pickle.

Thanks in advance.

Mc

" Renovation of an existing building, back into habitatable use. Comprising of 2 en-suite bedrooms and lounge "

Using www.freetranslation.com this is what you get....

La restauration d'un bâtiment existant, de retour dans l'usage de habitatable. Comprendre de 2 chambres à coucher d'en-suite et la salon

If you go into the above site you can play about with the English/French until you get a good translation (the translator gives the "gist")

Another site that may help for single words - www.wordreference.com

I hope this helps you more than the last post!!!![Www]

Regards

Rez - Welcome to the Forum.

Geoff and Nell - the problem with online translations is that thay can be completely off-beam.  I used an online translation for a letter to a propane gas company about a gas tank in the garden. It translated tank into a French word for a reservoir.  The rep came out to see me a few days later and said that my letter had been passed around their office for laughs because I had asked for a large reservoir to be installed in my back garden!

Rez - there are a number of French people in this Forum and hopefully, they can assist.  Clair, for example, is really helpful.

Yes like la crème de la crème, en-suite is not a French Expression. 

Try http://freetranslation.imtranslator.com/ or http://dictionary.reference.com/translate/  for translations, both are quite good but with all such sites need caution.  Also try using French phrasing not English.

If you put : La rénovation d'un bâtiment existant à l'utilisation habitable. Le batiment consistera de 2 chambres avec les salles de bains et une salle de séjour.   They will know what you intend.

As Ron has suggested but you could insert the word "attenantes"  after "salles de bains" i.e "Le bâtiment consistera de 2 chambres avec salles de bain attenantes et une salle de sejour." which makes it clear that the bathrooms are en suite which is, as has been said, an English expression.

A quick google of pages francophone reveals that a surprisingly large number of impeccably French people seem to use the expression 'salle de bain en suite'. 

As it is unknown in France I wonder what they can possibly mean by it?

I must admit, however, to being baffled by the concept of a bedroom 'en suite'  -  this, under most circumstances, sounds like a highly inconvenient arrangement.

As for crème de la crème, it appears (merely to give one citation amongst the thousands), no less than three times in Grunwald's Vie de Metternich (1938).

Thank you everyone for all your help - its been a real pain to get planning in France - they recently changed the law and wouldnt except any applications fro nearly a year in my commune.!!!

Im sure I have something wrong on the forms but Im just going to submitt it and see what happens.

Thanks again for all your help - much appreciated

Rez

[quote user="Gengulphus"]A quick google of pages francophone reveals that a surprisingly large number of impeccably French people seem to use the expression 'salle de bain en suite'.  [/quote]

... and another good one was en suite parking included though perhaps used ironically.  A favourite in my family is bog en suite.

I wonder what the Académie française would make of a phrase borrowed and perhaps misused by the English which then made its way back to French?

Bain marie Rodders, bain marie!  [;-)]