Cranes

Gemonimo

• 2 weeks later...

They are flying over nearly everyday now, making a heck of a racket

Not easy to photograph with my low-tech camera, sorry!

An even nicer sight is our local church all floodlit at night with the full moon right next to it producing the most ethereal effect and enough to make you weep.  But, alas, cannot photograph that either.

Really jealous of anyone who has seen the cranes. No sign here in the Lot and the weather has been very grey for many days, we did see some blackbirds last week and thought that was a good sign but spotted robins yesterday and today so feeling confused [8-)]

Hi!

Heard on the birdwatchers' grapevine that 70 000 (seventy thousand) cranes have been counted resting at a lake called Sotonero in Northern Spain. This was a few days ago, but you lucky people in the SW should be in for some spectacular views over the next few weeks, weather permitting.

Fureys

[quote user="Suninfrance"]Friday afternoon, heard the familiar sound of the cranes overhead and went outside to find them all circling just over the house.  They did this for a while, climbing on a thermal, then broke away into the familiar V formation and flew off.  Spectacular sight.

[/quote]

Oh I wish I had seen that we are just a bit south of you but musn't be on the flight path.

Mornings are breaking a bit earlier and we are being serenaded by a very melodic bird but unfortunately I don't know what it is.

Despite what I thought was a bad winter the daffodils seem to budding early [:D]

[quote user="Suninfrance"]Friday afternoon, heard the familiar sound of the cranes overhead and went outside to find them all circling just over the house.  They did this for a while, climbing on a thermal, then broke away into the familiar V formation and flew off.  Spectacular sight.

[/quote]

Thank you for that explanation.   We'd thought previously when they did that over us that they'd simply got themselves into a battle for supremacy and were in the most frightful muddle about direction and leadership!   Should have known nature would have a reason.

We see them in the autumn often,   but aren't usually in France for the spring return.

It's very hard to describe as to just *why* it's such a moving sight,   but there are few people we know who don't rush out to see the "spectacle" if they hear the honking.

I think with many people, the return of the Cranes means that Spring is just around the corner.  It is always a spectacular sight and sound.

Also, using the  thermals to gain height means they can rest their wings and let the thermals do the work for a while.

Incredible as it may sound, I have just heard a huge flock flying overhead.

I'd no idea they fly at night ..........can anyone confirm that this is normal?

There's no doubt from the sound that they are cranes and also no doubt that they were flying as the sound was fading towards the north west.

[quote user="Fureys"]Hi! Heard on the birdwatchers' grapevine that 70 000 (seventy thousand) cranes have been counted resting at a lake called Sotonero in Northern Spain. This was a few days ago, but you lucky people in the SW should be in for some spectacular views over the next few weeks, weather permitting. Fureys[/quote]

I think they were ALL overhead here in the Gironde at 5.00p. yesterday![:-))]

Great photos - thank you. 

Around dusk last night at St Bonnet la Riviere, Correze, we had 4 different groups - one after the other - flying across the back of the house.  The noise was incredible, I've never seen so many in one go.  There must have been over a thousand.  Incredible.