Unwelcome lunch guests

[quote user="pachapapa"] Say that to boomslang in South Africa![:D][/quote]

While recognising the danger of wandering off-topic ... [:D]

Boomslangs are a bit different from most other species of back-fanged snakes in that they can open their mouths exceptionally wide, so increasing your chance of getting envenomated ...

A+

Craig

[quote user="Frenchie"]

The initial question remains, any clue to keep snakes away ?( as far away as possible !!!!)

[/quote]

So far all I have learned is that noise keeps them away but I'm much rather find a repellant. 

Off topic for a moment, when I was reading up on Elderberry Syrup before I made some, I discovered that after fermenting elderberry leaves in water, the resulting liquid is a mole repellant.

[quote user="Frenchie"] The initial question remains, any clue to keep snakes away ?( as far away as possible !!!!)[/quote]

Hi Frenchie,

Snakes are predatory and territorial.  So to keep them away, you need to a) reduce any potential food sources; b) make the area around you as unattractive to them as possible.  Which, in turn, normally means being pretty hard on any vegetation near you, I'm afraid - as well as providing habitat for their prey, plants are used by most snakes as cover when hunting and for protection against predators.  You don't see many snakes on the pavements in town, after all ... [:)]

So, if you live in the French countryside, you best get used to snakes.  But remember they will generally be as scared of you as you are of them.  So let them know you are around.  You can scare them off temporarily by making noise - they are receptive to airborne sound, despite what you may have been told; and they also pick up vibration transmitted through the ground - so stamping can help.  Their eyes are also sensitive to movement.  So sitting still, reading a book in the warmth and peace of your garden is not a great way to keep snakes away, I'm afraid ...

Btw, there are any number of so-called snake repellents on the market.  The general consensus is that they don't work.

HTH

Craig

• 3 weeks later...
A line of sulphur definitely works, they won’t cross over it; problem is it has to be replaced after a heavy downpour.

Snakes also dislike goats so I’m told.

Sorry Sweet but I have seen plenty of snakes crossing gravel. They may not like it but they do cross it.

They certainly do!  Plenty around our property - in truth, not so much gravel as half inch down pebbles.

As an aside, I was driving back from the dechetterie the other day and saw what I thought was some of that plastic tape that's used for securing parcels, blowing around on the road some 20m ahead.

It wasn't of course - it was a snake S-ing across the road at a high rate of knots. It would have been at least a metre long.  Gone in to the undergrowth before I got close - happily, wouldn't have wanted to drive over it. 

Adders are normally 60-90cms and are out and about now it’s warm. I’m always on the lookout for my dog, he had one strike at him last year, fortunately and unusually it missed. My vet said there is no anti-venom available for dogs in France, a bit of a worry.

Humans normally suffer more than dogs, so take care, they can kill.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Gemonimo"]

Today under the wisteria, wrapped around my herbs, I found a snake skin presumably from one of the little fellows that dropped at my feet....... 161cm in length[:-))]

[/quote]Not so little[:)]

Interesting article by John Blatchford.

‘WARNING. When you do see snakes in France be very careful who you tell. In my experience the best way to turn a friendly French neighbour into a killer is to mention the word "serpent". He or she (probably he) will immediately grab something dangerous-looking and insist that you lead the way to the exact spot. Once there all reptiles, most plants, and in severe cases sections of stone wall, will be destroyed and you will undergo a long and very serious lecture about the dangers of the French countryside. You will be watched with suspicion for many days, and locals will queue up to tell you their horror stories. Much better in my opinion to keep quiet!’