Help with a stick insect! Urgent..

Jonzjob

I have just wandered out onto our terrace and there is a 4" long stick insect on the very edge!

Does anyone know if it is going to survive in such cold weather, not too cold at the mo, but?? Should I put it in a box full of leaves and put it in our unheated garage?

Any help PLEASE!

No funnies please, only serious stuff if you will..

What a thing to find!

My sons used to keep them - fascinating creatures!

We found that a sweet jar with fine netting of some sort over the top worked well. I seem to remember that they need fairly warm conditions, cooler at night maybe. We used to put privet twigs in a narrow pot of water (so the stick insects can't fall in and drown), which kept them fresh and kept up humidity levels, which they like. They also ate bramble leaves. The twigs needed to be changed regularly, every day or second day.

Good luck!

Well GG I am afraid that the little pericher has gone and found, I hope, another place to hide from the cold?

But what a surprise to see it right on the edge of the terrace with a temperature of 8ºC! I have a couple of photos of it otherwise I would doubt my own eyes. This is one an hour or so ago

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Nature/Winterstickinsect.jpg[/IMG]

I saw your link too late Pads and the little thing has done a runner, so I just hope that it's OK!!