Bats

We have had a bat flying around our house last week - we put it out (opened doors windows and it flew out).

Today we found one climbing the stairs during the day. Put it out, flew away, 5 minutes later, another (or possibly the returnee!) bat flying around living room.

We do not have a loft (converted) and there are none hanging in converted roof space. We never see where they are coming from. We have been here 6 years and this is the first time we have ever had them, although there is definitely a bat colony or more around here somewhere as we see them flying around the street light outside at night.

We have had a bat living in our cellar ever since we came here (still there last time I looked), and I don't mind him, but I don't really want a host of them flying around house every evening (even though it endlesslessly entertains the dog, who seems to love to watch them).

Any ideas for finding out how they are getting in please ? Old house, probably small holes all over the place.

Also, seems strange to see one flying around in the afternoon - is this normal?

We had pipistrelles in our loft and it was always the crepuscule when they would come out, I was never up to see if they went to bed a l'aube[:D]

Are they still getting in with all the windows and shutters shut?

I have to say I have never seen a bat fly during the day.

[quote user="Frenchie"][quote user="londoneye"]

Today we found one climbing the stairs during the day. [/quote]

?  ?

[/quote]

I've seen them walk, well crawl. The baby that fell out of our loft was crawaling along the floor. The roof tiles were taken off and it was put back on a beam. We didn't know what else to do with it, it wasn't as if there were any animal refuges in our area, or just simply someone known for taking in 'lost' animals.

They are protected and you aren't even supposed to handle them. If you do have to handle them then wear gloves as they can carry rabies. Can, not necessarly do carry rabies.

We had a pipestrelle flying around our dining room several years back and when SWMBO first saw it and told me I thought it was her going batty [:-))]

It was winter time and it gave us some wonderful flying displays during dinner. I phoned Chrispp and he put me onto our local bat guy and he told me to put it in a newspaper lined box with a little food and water and put it somewhere dark and cool. It went up in our garage mezannine. It lasted all the winter, but unfortunately died just before it should have been waking.

Beautiful animals [:D]