Catapillar time again!

Jonzjob

Well the time has come the

walrus said, well not exctly true, but it's time to look out for the

pine processionary caterpillars again!

I have just cut 4 small cocoons out of one of our pines and burnt the little sods.

If you are new to these little lovlies then this is well worth reading

http://www.grazalemaguide.com/nature-news/34-general-nature/175-beware-of-pine-processionary-caterpillars-.html

They

are dangerous and can kill your dog if it comes into contact with them.

They can also give you a very hard and uncomfortable time. Bin there,

done that!

Thanks for the article Jonzjob, we have a really nice pine tree (the edible kernel producing ones)as apposed to the regular ones and it seems to be particularly interesting to these blighters. they have caused it a lot of damage since last year.  I was going to do a severe pollard on it to kill as many of the two dozen nests as I can and I wasn't aware how nasty the hairs can be if I came across them whilst lopping off branches.  You have saved me from an itchy time as I will now suit up and mask up before attacking them. Flame thrower anyone?

"Glad to be of service" as the doors in the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy say [:D]

From the ones I saw this morning they aren't in the hairy stage yet, plus they will be fairly low down in the trees and easier to get at. Safer and easier me-thinks.

We have one of these. A bit expensive, but worth every penny and magic!

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-9240-Telescoping-Pruning-Stik/dp/B00004TBMV

You can get them in most of the garden centers. One of the best things about them is that the cord you pull to cut runs in a channel on the shaft and doesn't get tangled up in the branches and anything you can get in the jaws it will cut!

It's hard to believe that time has come round so quickly! We had a few nests around town last year, but never saw the caterpillars. They are indeed nasty things; a friend was pretty ill after he put his sports bag down near his car, as was his dog, which sniffed around the area. they now know all about these evil things!