Lots of holes!

sid

I didn't know whether to post this in Gardening or here.

This year we have hundreds of holes in the garden, in what we laughingly call the lawn; shall we just say grass! They are often grouped together in 3's or 4s, and each about 2 or 3 cms wide. It's obvious that something has been going in and out, as most of them have a little worn path into the hole. I haven't seen any actual activity.

We have moles (again) but they leave molehills; there are no soil deposits near these recent holes.  

Any ideas what could be down there? Do I need to take any action? I started filling them in but it will be a long job!!

Plenty of lizards, but they are in the walls etc.

I suspect now that we have voles or campagnols. I found a phot which looks similar to our garden. Apparently this is an increasing problem for the farmers too! They (the voles) live off vegetables and roots, and this would explain what's been happening to my wife's vegetable plot this year!

The blighters will have to go! But how?

There are large holes, up to about 4 - 5 x 2 - 3 cm,  in groups in several areas of our garden, made by ants. Large black ones. I think they are in the process of mating/migrating as there are quite a few winged ones. But there are plenty of ants around the holes in the daytime.

Serves me right, Wooly, I actually went and Googled that! [:$] Anyway, Yanks don't like cricket.

Ants? I haven't seen any activity at all.

Serpents? Oh no! I hope not, as it would mean a huge infestation of snakes, and I'm not very fond of those.

Aha Lou, Alas we had a cat, but no longer. We brought her with us from UK and she was 22 when she finally passed away. We couldn't replace her, and in any case I'm not sure I've got another 22 years left! [:-))]