Whats that horrible smell ?

Frederick

I am surprised that it has travelled that far from the centre of France, it must have passed me in that case and I didnt smell it but perhaps my nose has become attuned to my surroundings [:-))]

There has been a leakage of non toxic but strong smelling gas from a factory that makes the "scent marker" for natural gas which itself is odourless, the marker is added to make us aware of its presence and now we quite naturally associate that smell with gas.

So a leakage of the smelly but completely harmless marker gas and loads of people in the vicinity which I believe includes an autoroute quite understandably panicked and freaked out.

I really would be surprised if it has reached the UK although the dogs would probably smell it!!

'''I really would be surprised if it has reached the UK although the dogs would probably smell it!!''

It really did reach the UK, and as far as Oxford.

Methyl Mercaptan is the smelly of choice and it really is an evil smell. It's used in parts per billion for gas treatment, any stronger and it can make you feel very nauseous.

I think you will find that it was ethyl mercaptan.

As for non-toxic - well this is the France that managed to stop Chernobyl radiation at the borders - so of course a release of material that is considered as highly toxic and denagerous to the environment would be considered as safe.

Suggest you do a google on Mercaptan MSDS and then look at the safe working level (0.5 ppm - mind you the nose can easily detect it at 1/1000th of that level).

My apologies for using ''M''

The safe working level of 0.5 ppm may be safe but as you say you can smell it at ppb levels.

Having had a mercaptan dosing plant as part of a facility at which I worked I wouldn't willingly go within many yards of it if it was under maintenance. The smell was truly sickening.