Sanglier !

Gardian

We live in an Oak forest and know that there are plenty close by, but in 12 years have never seen one close to our property. They're there, but all you hear is the occasional rustling some way off.

I've noticed that some of the long grass at the edge of our plot has been flattened down and thought that this was a place where one or more congregated at night.

A day or two, I went to the edge of the pool terrace and there was one hell of a scuffling and running off, but I saw nothing. Then this morning, the firm evidence - the back half of a large sanglier hi-tailing it in to the undergrowth. Ten minutes later, two more though one might have been the original bloke or gall. I would mention that whilst I was only 3m away, I was a further 3m higher than them, so 'safe'.

They're not doing any harm and are best left, but I'll be wary when cutting back that dense undergrowth!

After all this dry weather the wild animals must be short of water - maybe they thought they would drink from your pool?

We found a baby sanglier a few months ago, somehow it had managed to get into our chicken run - can't remember if I mentioned it on here. A cute little thing and very friendly.

We had them dig up quite a large area of our grass one summer. It was dry and I suspect that they were after water. We have a pond but it's dry in the summer. It was as though someone had just lifted a large area of turf which, fortunately, we were able to replace without to much damage showing.

The chasseurs always say that GG (extend the season) + 34k shot seems an extraordinarily high number.

Often, the chasse extends over a commune or two, so say 200 or so in the Gard = getting on for 200 per chasse.

Happily, I don't reckon that they're that 'successful'. They're more interested in having a good fry-up & a glass or two before starting.

BTW, we've got badgers too ! A big (25cm) hole and something with a big black nose and eyes looking out at me. Neighbour reckons that they're essentially carnivores, so they'll keep the rodents down. The feral cats aren't keen though!

They do generally exaggerate, but that's the figure given in the Midi Libre:

http://www.midilibre.fr/2016/09/03/sangliers-un-fleau-sans-fin,1388080.php

Our next door neighbour is a keen hunter, and Mr GG enjoys all the various goodies he brings to us.

We used to have badgers in the woods behind us in UK but sadly they're no longer there; we do still have foxes even though quite a lot of new houses have been built close by.

I saw a badger today but, alas, it was dead in a ditch by the side of a fast road.  Perhaps a car hit it and it either got knocked into the ditch or someone moved the body into the ditch.

I just hope it died quickly; it was quite a large animal;

Sanglier are a real problem in this neck of the woods. A few years back they completely denuded the bank which for a few hundred yards is the border of our land of cuckoo pint. This year they are grubbing about on the borders of our stream. My neighbour has just had to put three lines of electric fencing around his maize to keep them out. I have read that some areas of forest devastated by the tempest in 1999 have still not been cleared and that the sanglier are living there. In spite of this in fifteen years I have never seen an adult, only very young ones which I presumed had been separated from their parents by the hunt.

In my bit of rural England there are many, many more badgers than there used to be when I was a child.

We saw them again yesterday when we had some French guests round for lunch.

More than a few "Putains" when they saw their derrières disappearing in to the undergrowth.

One of the ladies is convinced that it's a couple and that they're making baby sanglier down there! Very French (her comment, rather than French sangliers)

I have just tried looking at that link Harnser. It's been removed by the user..

We have only seen 1 live and one dead one in the 12 years here. The dead one was on the back of our gardeners pickup. He told his brother had shot it. It was HUGE!

We do see the damage in the vine fields though and they are the cause of a lot of it around here!

• 2 weeks later...
I've been clearing the 1.5m high undergrowth over the last few days and it was clear that I was not alone!

Did quite a lot of it, but when I was about to start yesterday, I chucked some small stones in to the general area where I thought the sangliers were.

One hell of a scuffle - one large adult + 4 marcassins heading out as fast as the little one's legs would take them. I suspect that 'Dad' was still in there.

I jacked it in for the day.

Spoke to the blokes from the Chasse today. Only one solution they said (but they would say that, wouldn't they?), so they're coming round to do a recce. Not good, but you can't have a 120kg wild animal within 4m of you and feeling that you're an enemy?

Not good.