such an enchanting little bird

mint

We have seen one of these on a high tree near our house for about 3 days.  There it sits, singing for all it's worth and it looks so beautiful with its lovely bright colour.

Has anybody else noticed one of these?

[url]https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/House_Finch/id[/url]

Edit:  you can click on the "sounds" tab in the link and listen to its song[:D]

Catalpa, won't be able to produce a photo.  The bird is on the highest branch of an acacia some distance from the house and can only be seen with powerful binoculars.

It must be rare around here because it's the first time OH and I have seen such a bird.  Plus, we have not seen a second.  We have heard it singing and it looks so odd, being so red.  As far as I can tell, it matches the description.  Can't see its beak but its tail is relatively long as described.

It's unlikely to be a House Finch as they appear to be native to parts of the USA! Probably a Pinson des arbres or Pison du Nord. (Arbres) Reddish under breast, blue cap and brown, black and white body markings, a handsome birds indeed! (Nord) White breast dark cap and black tail.

Finches are wonderful singers, you are fortunate to have it singing away.

Following on from the suggestion that it may be a crossbill, do you have spruce or other fir trees near by? We have had plenty of crossbills in the Surrey Hills where we are surrounded by these forests and only see the birds when they come down to drink from our waterfall and birdbath. They do have very similar markings to the House Finches you referenced.

I have so enjoyed reading all your responses.

Now having researched your various suggestions, I think a crossbill does come closest.  It is the right size but it seems to prefer this very tall acacia tree but we don't have pines in the immediate area.

Other thing is, it is a lone bird, have never seen its mate or even its male friends!  It does love to sing but I have only seen it very briefly today so couldn't say I could memorise its song.  I shall put the camera next to the binoculars but I am not hopeful of getting a picture.

One last observation is that it is very brilliantly red; its head and all its underside.  We can't see its upper side or wings too well so don't know the colour of those bits of the bird.  As for the beak, I can't really say if it's crossed or not, the angle and line of sight does not permit me to be sure.