Could i run a gite from england?

Flowcab

Hi i'm new to this, i've been searching the web for ages trying to find some stories about people running gite's from their home country. I'm only 21 years old but have a BIG ambition to run a gite from England, possibly move to france at a later date.

I was just wandering whether anybody knows if this isa good idea as i want to find out as much information about this as possible before i jump into a brick wall ...

Many thanks

John ( le john pierre ) ;P

Hi John

I would say it depends on the back up you have in place in France.

You can organise the booking from the UK, but from experience, the day to day running needs someone close by.

When you get that call!!! the electric gone off, the fridge is broken, i can't light the fire etc.

Not to mention the up-keep of the grounds, the change overs and all the washing, ironing and cleaning, that's a day in it's self.

There is also the damage to be put right when it happens, before the next client arrives.

I would say its a full time job running a successful gite business, and if you run it from afar, then it will cost you to have it managed properly.

So yes you can but at a price.

cheers

hope it helps

nichthewood

[quote user="Wilko"]Why would you want to ??

W[/quote][:D] I was wondering the same - I've thought about running one in France (like - our house that we can't sell!) and that seems complicated enough on its own!  I think he's considering buying somewhere to live in later though, and run it as a gite in the meantime?

Thanks for the help everyone, wasn't expecting so many answers so soon! Is there no minimum age to start a gite too? I want to try running a gite because i see no future in england atm (unfortunately) and really want to invest my money into something, tourisms good in france, nice culture, plus then i'll have a property in france! =D

I'm thinking if i can find somebody close by in the same village as my holiday home to employ as a houekeeper it could work? I just don't have a full understanding of the french laws.

Ha I'm not french wilko, that's just the name i use on a night out .. Le John Pierre ... God of looove =P Yeah ... it never workds ..