Rocket French

fulcrum

It would have helped if you had said what it was in your question!

This looks a bit like the old picture-association method. Good for vocabulary, useless for grammar, good for visual learners, not so good for others.

I've never heard of it, you really need a comment from someone who has, but that looks a bit unlikely.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]It would have helped if you had said what it was in your question!

This looks a bit like the old picture-association method. Good for vocabulary, useless for grammar, good for visual learners, not so good for others.

I've never heard of it, you really need a comment from someone who has, but that looks a bit unlikely.

[/quote]

Sorry for that Dick. Anyway links have now been provided by someone else. Here is another "independant" review.

http://www.learnfrombest.com/rocket-french-fr2.html

I was considering purchasing it as it is quite inexpensive compared to other courses and seems quite good for my needs. It also now has an interactive recordings module.

If anyone has any comments I'd be interested.

Fulcrum, I thought you were talking about Arianne, and it crashed!

I can't help you with the course, but I can say beware of "independent" testimonials when they try to sell you the very product they praise.

Good luck with the French, however you learn it.

• 3 weeks later...
I have now used Rocket French for a few days and find it quite good. I wasn't an absolute beginner but have found that the course has lots of examples on pronounciation and the proper use of irregular verbs.

I also decided to purchase their interactive French course which apart from the really annoying voice of the male speaker (a mix of mid atlantic, South African and New Zealand ) has been ideal for porting onto my MP3 player.

Both are worth the money anyway.

A guinea pig.[:)]

Fulcrum, it is good to hear you are happy with it. Once I finish the Michel Thomas advanced French, I think I will give Rocket French a try as well. Must admit the name does appeal [:)].

Thanks for being the forum guinea pig. [:D]

[quote user="Cassis"]Pleased to hear it's working for you.  Keep it up!  [:)]

What level were you at before you started - is it more of a refresher?

[/quote]

Sorry Cassis I didn't see your second line until just now.

I do have a bit of experience of French but my only formal training was when I attended Alliance Francaise in London about 16 years ago. So you could say I'm not a complete beginner but haven't taken it too seriously until now.

[quote user="WJT"]

Fulcrum, it is good to hear you are happy with it. Once I finish the Michel Thomas advanced French, I think I will give Rocket French a try as well. Must admit the name does appeal [:)].

Thanks for being the forum guinea pig. [:D]

[/quote]

A guinea pig on this forum is probably the safest thing to be right now.