How do we pronounce our new sons name!!

St_Jacques

Hi we have named our new baby son (born thursday!) Éloi.

However we are getting confusing messages about how it is pronouced!

Some say ell-waa, others ill-waa, others ay-waa, please could someone give us the definitive version for our poor boys sake!!!!

Many thanks

Dale 

I don't think you say if the baby was born in Britain or France. I don't know anybody called Éloi, but I have of course come across the female version (presumably) Eloise, which in Britain is usually ell-o-eese. So I think the British will tend to pronounce his name either ell-oy or ee-loy.

If you are in Britain, and not French, then I think saddling him with a French version, such as ell-wa, will be regarded as pretentious rather than charming by most of the population, who don't have much of an interest in things French.

If you are in France, then there is definitely a case for using a French pronunciation, but if you are British living in France it should be perfectly OK to pronounce it in a British way should you wish.

I think what I mean is that it's your choice, but do bear in mind how those with whom the child will be interacting as he grows up will say his name.

Edit - congratulations, by the way. But do bear in mind that it is common for Upper case letters in French to be written without accents. For another interpretation of Eloi (rather than Éloi) you might like to look at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eloi. And as it is, as Dick indicates above, Aramaic for 'my God' then it may be seen as disrespectful, or even blasphemous, in certain less tolerant religious circles.

[quote user="samdebretagne"]I think I'd say a-lwa (or ay-lwa to show the pronunciation of the A).

It's odd that you didn't think about this beforehand...or maybe this is just a wind-up?
[/quote]

Samedebretagne, I would have thought that if that first E had been an è it would have have been ayl-wa.

I don't know, I'm pretty sure that in French, the "é" is pronounced separately from the "loi", giving ay-lwa, and not ell-wa (which would be more so an English pronunciation of it).

At least IMO, "è" is pronounced "eh" with your lips sort of stretched out (like in "mère) and "é" is pronounced more so a short "ay", like in "parlé".

PS. I just asked my (French) OH what he thought and he said "a-lwa" or "ay-lwa".

[quote user="Teamedup"]

Samedebretagne, I would have thought that if that first E had been an è it would have have been ayl-wa.

[/quote]

Of course like très is pronounced treaz and prés is pronounced pray ?[:-))]  I think either my French teacher cannot speak French or you have your accents going in the wrong direction TU.

I agree with the first reply,   if you don't even know how to pronounce the name why choose it in the first place???

Did Ron Avery post?

My neighbour had me ay eh er'ing many years ago, to remember.  I 'm pretty sure that I am dislexic or some such thing as I can very easily say them in the wrong order. I won't edit, I just did it again. Some things are very hard for me.

I know onew family who wanted to name their French first born Connor if he was a boy, they were politely persuaded by the neighbours that it wouldn't be a good idea to send their son to school with a name pronounced like an obscenity.

Luckily they had a girl

Hi - thanks for all your replies and we are still it seems none the wiser!!!!

We named him Eloi after devotion to the French Saint of that name. I am a Catholic Deacon.

Yes, ok I accept the point why use a name you are not sure how to pronounce but we have always presumed it was pronouced al-waar, until a relative of ours telephoned after speaking with a French friend  and said they said it was pronounced -ill-waa.

We are british but intend to move to France in the near future so he will be bought up there.

Dale