Test Your (French) Grammar

The Riff-Raff Element

Just done the various tests and .... to my shame not scoring that high... average 63% ... Moi!! ...Well.... it's nigh on 30 years that I don't use the language that regularly...... and beside I was never good at it when at school anyway.... what a thing to admit to....

I have copied that link in my favourites to go back to it and see if I can do it again with a better result!....

Incidently it is grammAr ..... [;-)]  

I've now tried the Capital letters test and scored 55.56%. I knew about the dates and I guessed the Companies.

It's a very good site for practicing as it explains the rules as well. However I'm not sure I fully understand the explainations.[8-)]

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

The "capital letters" are deadly !  [8-)]

La Société protectrice des animaux.  Most peculiar.

[/quote]

Most peculiar! Alors ça oui !...

Toute ma vie j'écris : Le Président de la République in deference to his function as the Head of State and in this exercise it tells me NOT to. The president in this context could be also le président of a company... but that Premier Ministre must have a P majuscule et m minuscule as it is his title ..... Bizarre....

They must have changed the rules since I left the country... [Www]

Crikey Moses! Bring me some laurels to rest on immediately!! In such auspicious company, I managed to get over 85% on all but two - those being the past participles one where I got an abysmal 46.67% and the capital letters where I got 60%. I shall have to apply a cold compress to my head now, to stop it expanding. If only my everyday written French lived up to the promise of these results, I'd be a very happy bunny![:D]

On the past participles - please will someone give the rules about: the p.p. must agree with ?the form? of avoir. And the p.p. followed by an infinitive must agree with ?? what?  I got about half right but pure chance as I've never heard of these rules. Pat.

From what I can remember school kids learn them when they are about 8 or 9. My neighbour was lecturing her daughter about a couple of these last week, the poor little girl looked as if it made as much sense to her as it does to me, I did feel for her.

I understood all the sentences, I am just so bad at all the rest really. And often when one talks one doesn't 'hear' the difference either..............well I don't[:-))]

• 1 month later...