Mademoiselle le Goff ?

Pads

Im just doing a little translation for my home work and have never seen le in someones name is there a reason for this ? its a manager speaking to an employee.

Many Thanks [:)]

PS Did anyone notice I didnt ask any questions last week!![:-))] and I got all my home work right in the end with just a few silly spelling mistakes[:D] 

Some of these names would have been used to distinguish people by their trade (Legoff/Le Goff = blacksmith - Lemesurier/Le Mesurier = person who measures) or from another person within a family ( Le Yaouanc/Ar Yaouanc = the young one).

Those names with "de", "du" or "de la" are/were seen as upper class, as they usually reflect(ed) land ownership.

This is very interesting, I am also interested in where old English names come from.[geek]

So Le  would be the job they did and De Du would be where they are from.... any others ?

Clair I tried to look up the word goff and came up with nothing .... where else can I look to get back to blacksmith ? I noticed some one else said it equalled The Red  which I also looked up but found no mention of the word goff. Any Ideas ? 

Have a look at this Pads:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goff

Here's an explanation of the Irish equivalent:

The experts say that the surname McGough stems from Eochaidh, a name based on the Gaelic word for "horseman." Eochaidh in the genitive case is eochadha. Some say that Mac (son of) should be followed by the genitive case, but the rule is seldom followed in the Irish annals.