The British

Kitty

Nobody has ever explained to me why the best bit ([;-)]) was called England (Angleland) when the Saxons and Jutes (rather than the Angles) were the main invaders after the Romans cleared out. Perhaps the names "Saxony" and "Jutland" were already taken?

[quote user="Iceni"]

If that were true Gay he must have written very quickly.[:D] First evidence of speed writing ?

Though I was under the impression that he was born on April 23 Wikipedia does not show a d.o.b. but  his baptism as April 26 suggesting doubt as to when he popped out.

John

[/quote]

Sigh....thats why I said date, not day... I believe he was born on the 23rd of April and died on the 23rd of April - I have forgotten the years but when I was a "youf" I was part of the first intake of a school that opened on April 23rd, so the date sticks in my mind.[:)]

It is surely a question of language.  French people may not necessarily know where the borders are and therefore anyone who speaks English might be considered to be English.  Then, also bear in mind the car plates - GB is for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland too, so if French people see GB on the car, it may be that they think of Anglais rather than Britannique.  As far as I am concerned, I am English and European.  I'm not bothered about the British bit.  But, for example, a Breton person may consider themself as Breton, rather than French - but are they actually classed as French rather than Breton.  Is there a difference between being Welsh and being Breton?  OK, there is a Welsh parliament, but that is new. 

I just think that when the French refer to us as les anglais, they are thinking about English speaking Europeans.  I can understand that Welsh, Scottish and Irish people may not want to be considered as English, but how are French people supposed to know?  The language we speak is English - the same language as appears to be spoken in Calais!!!!

All we can do as individuals is let people know where we come from and use the right name for our country of origine.  They can't be expected to understand dialect etc.

• 1 month later...

The British Isles:            England ,Wales, Scotland, The whole of Ireland

The United Kingdom:    England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, all of which The Queen is Head of State

Great Britain:                England, Wales, Scotland

It irks me when Presidents of USA talk about Great Britain, deliberately excluding Northern Ireland, when they should refer to the United Kingdom.

[quote user="Renaud"]So far nobody has mentioned the Eurovision (and French postal service) version of our nationality - Le Royaume-Uni.

Wikipedia says: Royaume-Uni est un État indépendant d'Europe de l'Ouest créé en 1707, composé de la Grande-Bretagne (Angleterre, Écosse et Pays de Galles) et de l’Irlande du Nord

[/quote]

[quote user="Cathy"]The United Kingdom:    England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, all of which The Queen is Head of State[/quote]

So Royaume-Uni = United Kingdom