Translation please???

Nicos

We have just had the heating guy round and he was talking about our ceiling beams around the chimney

He mentioned a word ....orbier/lorbiere/ourbier.....( we have wood worm in some of the beams) - he was pointing to areas of the beams which were clearly scraped away which were pitted with old woodworm- they seemed sound now.

Any help wit the translation folks??

Ha!...nope nope and nope[:-))]

He's coming over to replace a radiator in a couple of weeks so I'll ask him then- just interested in working it out before hand!

We have active woodworm in one of the main beams in that room so it looks like we'll have to treat all the wood anyway. Out of interest.....should you scrape away badly pitted wood if it seems pretty solid??

je donne ma langue au chat! Don't forget to tell us about it when you find the answer! Would love to know.

Pour le corbeau, oubliez! ?? In which case he might think that the beam was so badly affected by woodworm that it is not strong enough and would have to be replaced? Perhaps?

[quote user="Nicos"]We have just had the heating guy round and he was talking about our ceiling beams around the chimney
He mentioned a word ....orbier/lorbiere/ourbier.....( we have wood worm in some of the beams) - he was pointing to areas of the beams which were clearly scraped away which were pitted with old woodworm- they seemed sound now.
Any help wit the translation folks??
[/quote]

Nicos

this sounds like the likely culprit to me

aubier = sapwood

Le capricorne des maisons

Bois attaqués :
Uniquement la partie aubieuse des résineux (charpentes, solives, planchers, menuiseries)

Often attacked by wood boring insects including the above critter

Danny

Hmmm...now that seems more like it!

Sapwood is just beneath the bark isn't it?...we thought he was saying that it's mainly the bark areas which have been affected- but there is no bark...so...sapwood sounds spot on!

And yes- part of the beam does need replacing as they've got into a crack which was treated 20 yrs ago.

We knew it needed doing so it's no problem.

15 litres Xylophene, masks and gloves at the ready!..guess what we'll be up to this weekend!

Many thanks folks.....will certainly let you know if it's not auier- Thanks Danny![:)]

[quote user="JR"]Fancy still getting the gender wrong on the most important phrase and most peoples first to learn![/quote]Fancy missing the apostrophe in "people's"!

On the other hand, if you could remove the apostrophe from your name, it would avoid error messages - at least, on my browser.

Sorry, but there's no mercy on this forum.

So glad some people still think it is important to use apostrophes.

I keep getting told that I'm being fussy.

I am - I don't even approve of the "If in doubt, leave it out" mantra often quoted to children in school.

I prefer: If in doubt, find out!"

But then I am a grumpy old woman.

• 2 weeks later...