Inviting the neighbours.

Geranium

Like many I guess, we would like to invite our neighbours (who we haven't met yet) as well as a few freinds around for an "apero" at lunchtime on 28th.  We'd like to print out a few inviations and pop them in letterboxes, but what do we say?

Can anyone give us the general gist of  "Tom and Irene would like to invite you round for a festive drink at 12 noon on 28th December" please?

Thank you

We've just waved goodbye to a roughly equal mixed party of French and English guests, about 30 odd in total, and it went very well. The idea of the mix was good because many of the English spoke half decent French which, along with the Mulled wine, helped to oil the wheels [:D]

Here's the modest spread 'er indoors put on

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/DSCN5228.jpg[/IMG]

This is copied (adapted) from a sample letter of invitation in our dictionary:

Cher Raymond et Collette,

Nous avons l'idée de inviter tous nos copains de la commune dans notre maison le dimanche 28 Décembre pour les aperitifs.

Rendez-vous environs de 12 heures. A bientot.

Amicalement

Perhaps the language is rather old-fashioned?

Thank you patf, that's the reply I was hoping the Forum would come up with.  We have been invited to drinks both at lunchtime and in the evening. Both are normal "dans le Tarn". That spread looks amazing; not quite what I was intending to offer but very impressive!

The wording looks OK to me but perhaps someone else has a better suggestion?  If not, old-fashioned we will be!

[quote]Cher Raymond et Collette,

Nous avons l'idée de inviter tous nos copains de la commune dans notre maison le dimanche 28 Décembre pour les aperitifs.

Rendez-vous environs de 12 heures. A bientot.

Amicalement

[/quote]

If I may be so bold, could I suggest a few changes to the above:

Chers Colette et Raymond (you're addressing  more than one person, so an "s" is required at the end of cher; the woman's name should come first)

A l'occasion des fêtes de fin d'année, nous organisons un petit apéritif dimanche 28 décembre vers midi. (copains is very casual, too casual if you haven't met them)

Nous espérons que vous pourrez vous joindre à nous et aurons grand plaisir à vous recevoir.

Amicalement

Geranuim et Poinsettia

[quote user="chessfou"]That's not proper French wallpaper! Is it on the ceiling as well??[/quote]I agree but it came from France I'm sure because we are the first non French owners and from what I can tell is what was put up when the house was built in the 70's.

On the ceiling would be too much to bear so no thank God [+o(]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Nice picture, Erns and Well Done! Mrs Bluecat.

Now, do give us the recipe for the mulled wine?

[/quote]

Mrs Bluecat here. 

The mulled wine is to taste but I find the following works well.

I prefer to prepare this the night before and leave unheated allowing the fruit to be steeped in the wine quite nicely as this, I feel, enhances the flavour.

Allow one bottle of half decent cheap vin rouge for every 10 people so a pack of 4 at 7€ is usually ok. 

Pour into a large couldron or heavy-based deep saucepan

Add one bottle of tap water (one of the empties will do for capacity) and, if you like 50cl of sweet sherry

Add the following ingredients to the wine and water mix: -

Cut 4 clementines into quarters and the grated the rind of 2 lemons.

One dessert spoon each of muscavado sugar and vanilla sugar per bottle of wine (4 dessert spoons of each).  If you don't have vanilla sugar, just add the same amount of caster sugar and either a vanilla pod or 5ml good quality vanilla essence.

Four lengths of cinamen sticks, one vanilla pod or 2.5ml of good quality vanilla extract/essence, freshly grated nutmeg (one is enough), 4-6 cloves per bottle of wine and a small piece of ginger grated.

If you want some extra spice, do the following: -

Using a piece of muslin large enough to make a small bag when tied up (depending on how much dried fruit you think you'll put in), place a few  plump sultanas, raisins, candied peel (if desired), 2 finely chopped dates and dried, forzen or fresh cranberries.  Add to this one teaspoon of mixed spice (I never put powdered spice straight into the pot) and then, using uncoloured string, tie up the muslin bag.  Allow enough string to tie onto the handle of the cooking pot (saves phaffing around with the string when using the ladle for serving.

At least 2 hours before your guests arrive bring the pot to the boil and then immediately switch off.  About a half hour later, taste the wine mix and adjust according to taste - for a sweeter taste add either vanilla sugar or caster sugar and for a less sweet taste, grate the rind of another lemon into the mix and, if need be, some of the juice.

Return to the heat, bring to the boil and then turn off.  The liquid should remain warm enough to drink for a couple of hours but if necessary, reheat on simmer only.  I find a third boiling ruins the whole thing.  Alternatively if you have a slow cooker, decant into this and there'll be no risk of overheating.  This mixture does well in a vaccuum flask if you want to take some to a party.  Best served in glass tumblers.

Enjoy

Thank you so much, Mrs Bluecat, for taking the trouble to post your mulled wine recipe.  It sounds just the ticket for this cold weather we're having.

I did have other recipes but I have either lost them or I can't find them...........

Cheers, Mrs Bluecat and a Very Happy New Year to you and Erns!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Thank you so much, Mrs Bluecat, for taking the trouble to post your mulled wine recipe.  It sounds just the ticket for this cold weather we're having.

I did have other recipes but I have either lost them or I can't find them...........

Cheers, Mrs Bluecat and a Very Happy New Year to you and Erns!

[/quote]

Thanks Sweet17

[quote user="Geranium"]Like many I guess, we would like to invite our neighbours (who we haven't met yet) as well as a few freinds around for an "apero" at lunchtime on 28th.  We'd like to print out a few inviations and pop them in letterboxes, but what do we say?

Can anyone give us the general gist of  "Tom and Irene would like to invite you round for a festive drink at 12 noon on 28th December" please?

Thank you

[/quote]

[B]

Did you invite them and was it a good party?[8-|]

[quote user="Cendrillon"][quote user="Geranium"]Like many I guess, we would like to invite our neighbours (who we haven't met yet) as well as a few freinds around for an "apero" at lunchtime on 28th.  We'd like to print out a few inviations and pop them in letterboxes, but what do we say?

Thank you
[/quote]

[B]
Did you invite them and was it a good party?[8-|][/quote]

How did your festive drinks go? This worked on our invites to our French guests and it was good to have neighbours we hadn't met before but to the English, we said "drinks and nibbles".

Ernie et Margaret

Sont contents de vous inviter à notre

L’apéritifs de Noël et canapés ....... (etc)