Which French words are the most difficult to pronounce?

mint

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At a French holiday camp, my 10 year old son and his best (English) friend were asked by a large group of French boys to teach them English swear words.   

So my son and his friend made some up.  'Don't ever say the word Noddy to an adult', they confided.   'Limo is a really rude swear word', they said, 'and it is even worse if you say 'Stretch Limo'. [:D] 

When the founding fathers created the E.U., didn't they realise that it's my son and his friend et al. that is going to wreck it?  [Www]

Don't know if this will be any help, as I noticed Clair was looking for some examples to help people with pronunciation:

[url]http://www.imagiers.net/video/?cat=67[/url] 

or, if you want to do them as a quiz:

[url]http://www.imagiers.net/video/?cat=1[/url]

[quote user="sweet 17"]What's this taboo about the P word?[/quote]I think the taboo is imposed by the forum's naughty-word filter, which is outside our control.

I'm going to test this by attempting to include it in this message.  Here goes: if putin was a French word, it would be pronounced exactly like putain.

Of course, my theory may be nothing but coq and boule.

PS: no, the asterisks tell me that my theory is correct.

• 1 month later...
I know I'm a bit late with a response here but my french neighbour told me that is why a computer is called an ordinator in france because computer is made up of two very rude words. I have yet to establish what they are but as I said earlier I am always a bit behind with everything !

Chris

My wife uses her maiden name in France as my surname starts with TH. We realised it was goiing to be a problem when my MiL married us, and totally mangled my surname.

Frenchie. My wife always avoids having to use Fill up/Fill in/Fill out, in the right context, she ALWAYS gets it wrong.

I never order anything with andouillette in it, I can write, just don't ask me to say it.

[quote user="chessfou"]Porsmousse est une ville d'environ 186 000 habitants sur la côte sud de l'Angleterre, face à l'île de Wight. Elle appartient au comté d'Hampshire. Porsmousse est un des trois plus importants ports militaires d'Angleterre.[/quote]

Oh, THAT Porsmousse!  The alternative spelling threw me a bit!

Tuyauterie........that's "pipery" to me. (easier to pronounce, non?) And no, I'm sure it's not the same as "du pipeau"!