Which French words are the most difficult to pronounce?

mint

This post isn't meant to be serious but, nonetheless, it's a heartfelt one from me.

I had an appointment with the podologue this morning and, when I looked at her address, I realised it was in the dreaded Rue de la République.

It was my first appointment and I don't know the town that well.  I had visions of asking somebody where the R de R was.

I've been practising "rue" for months now (and, no, it's not the r that is giving me the problem, it's getting the sound of the ue) and, indeed, I have convinced myself that it's pretty much as French-sounding as I shall ever get it so I'm not unhappy with rue.

But, when they have république so close to rue, it's not a nice thing to do, is it? 

Why don't they call it Avenue de la République or even Boulevard de la République instead and just give us foreigners a break?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have a mental block about saying a few words in English: treacherous and IRA were among them.

I know someone called Naomi, which has always stumped me as in French, her name would be pronounced Noémie...

How do you manage with squirrel in French (écureuil)? [:)]

I'm still having problems with pneus d'hiver

At least I don't have to worry about it until November.

Yes French squirills are a bit tricky.

So Clair, how do you get on with 'Worcestershire' as in the sauce?

That one seems to cause my French colleagues a bit of trouble

S17 - for the french "u"  I was taught to say "ee", with the lips in the "oo" position. When the french rugby team sing the Marseillaise, watch their mouths when they come to "MUgir ces féroces soldats...."

Lots of words I find difficult - especially tilleul.

[quote user="Patf"]

S17 - for the french "u"  I was taught to say "ee", with the lips in the "oo" position. When the french rugby team sing the Marseillaise, watch their mouths when they come to "MUgir ces féroces soldats...."

Lots of words I find difficult - especially tilleul.

[/quote]

tilleul...

how strange [8-)]

Most people (including me) pronounce it "tee-yeul", although really, it should be pronounced "tee-leul".

When the European coin was named the 'euro', I thought that it was a conspiracy againt the Brits as it is very difficult for us to pronounce in a manner that the French can understand.

I also cannot say the word 'cirque' as in circus in an understandable manner.

As for the French, have you heard them try to say 'straw' or 'law' or 'raw'?  It sounds like 'str - O' (rhyming with 'low' etc.

I am going to suggest serrurerie - the word for a locksmith's premises. Apart from its initial letter, all its consonents are the same letter.

According to my Concise Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary, the common pronunciation of tilleul is correct.

I have to say wait till you  have a two of French people of my age from the North and South on the train. Last time Isabel took the TGV from Lille to Bordeaux she claimed she spent the entire journey explaining what the two grand mothers were saying to each other. Restuarent French really gets me. I like Boulot- I like Escargot de Mer - but I  hate it when they have Sea Snails as opposed to Whelks on the menu.

What a coincidence, Clarkkent! Only yesterday, I was given someone's business card who repairs garden and agricultural vehicles and tools and serrurerie was also on the card.  You'd say "serrurie", won't you, like you'd say teinturerie as teinturie?

Patf, actually, I'm quite good with the "u" sound on its own and can even call my friend Jules in the proper French way.  No, "u" on it's own isn't a problem; it's saying "rue" in that special French way they have.

Perhaps, it is to do with the "r" after all.  Took me a while to say "grand" properly.  Then, I couldn't do "bouilloire" and it wasn't great making a cup of tea in the traditional way without one of those.

LOL, if I could have managed "un grand jardin" to the estate agent, I might've ended up with more land for the dog and for the orchard I'm going to plant next year!

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

No sympathy at all.

Try asking for you ski jacket to be re-waterproofed

reimperméabilisée if you please!   That's 9 syllables.  I can't even think of an English word with 9 syllables in common uasage [:-))]

[/quote]

Right, Pierre, that's me giving up skiing before I've even started.  What with having to ask for my ski jacket to be re-waterproofed and talking about having to wax my skis, I'm definitely NOT going there!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

This post isn't meant to be serious but, nonetheless, it's a heartfelt one from me.

I had an appointment with the podologue this morning and, when I looked at her address, I realised it was in the dreaded Rue de la République.

It was my first appointment and I don't know the town that well.  I had visions of asking somebody where the R de R was.

I've been practising "rue" for months now (and, no, it's not the r that is giving me the problem, it's getting the sound of the ue) and, indeed, I have convinced myself that it's pretty much as French-sounding as I shall ever get it so I'm not unhappy with rue.

But, when they have république so close to rue, it's not a nice thing to do, is it? 

Why don't they call it Avenue de la République or even Boulevard de la République instead and just give us foreigners a break?

[/quote]

I have just found this thread and its got me a bit worried......

Maybe I am saying things all wrong but to me Rue de la Republique (no accents on this keyboard) is pronounced ......

Roo de la Ray pub leek.   I hope I am close [8-)]