French Family in Wiltshire?

Mishtoon

Hi there,

We have recently returned to live in England - to Wiltshire and I am looking for a French family we could join up with in order to continue our very well developed French!! (myself plus husband plus children).

This might seem a bit of a strange request but I thought perhaps there may be someone out there who may know someone living near to us.

Many thanks,

Hello Mishtoon

We are living in Gloucestershire and I want my son to be able to play with someone who can speak french, I'll pm you some contacts, if you are interested. Weare of course English and I am seeking French kids too but would be happy for an occasional meet up where the kids spoke in French to each other, go as a starting point.

We lived for 6 years in France, my son is 9, 10 very soon.

Panda

Hi Panda,

Yes would love that. I think it may take a bit of time to get them warmed up to talking in French but it's worth trying. I am going to continue to try to find other people who may want to link up and see whether also find a venue. But starting informally would be just fine. If you pm me some details then I'll get in touch. With many thanks, Melanie

just an idea

but when my son and i went on a trip with a freinds whose son had lived in france for 7 years i asked the son being (14) to pretend that he could only speak french it took my son a long time to reaise he understood english and was talking to him in french the whole time they are now great buddys [:D]

What i am trying to say is introduce them as french speakers not english speakers and see how they go it might work

Hi Melanie

What part of Wiltshire are you ?  - it's a big county! 

If you are in southern Wiltshire,  I know quite a few French adults in the Salisbury area, and  perhaps the best way to find some French people with similarly aged children would be a letter to the Salisbury Journal.

There are conversation groups here and also the Alliance Francaise, as well as lots of after school French groups where primary school children learn French - although I realise he would be well ahead of most of them.

Regards and good luck

Tegwini

There is an anglo francais club in Swindon, they meet once a month but I don't think my french is good enough to go along. It is a mix of French and English people. I know of a very nice ladywith 2 daughters that live in Bath (she tried to teach me in Swindon)

Thank you one and all for your great suggestions. I am going to try Salisbury as someone else mentioned that to me too. We are North Wilts but perhaps we could find a French student who wants to learn English and we could talk half French/half English for mutual benefit. Thanks again everyone!

How very bizarre ! We have just moved to Wiltshire having lived in France for the last 4 and a half years, and I logged on to find a french family in Wiltshire to help keep up the kids French. I have been trying to get them to speak french to eachother so they don't forget, but so far it isn't working. Maybe when they start school next week, and realise that everyone speaks English, speaking french might seem less of a chore and more of a novelty ? it would be great to get together if possible, where do you live? We are near Devizes. How old are your kids ? Mine are only 6 and 4 ( I also have an 18 month old who doesn't really talk English yet never mind french !!) Both the boys speak fluent french , but the eldest was just starting reading and writing in french so I am keen for him to carry on with it. I am planning on keeping touch wih some of their friends via Skype and the teacher at thier school has said some of the 6th formers at the local secondary might be interested in tutoring them but I'm not sure how that will work out !!

Let me know if you have any other ideas or you want to keep in touch and meet up,

Madeleine