How to qualify your level of French

Gyro

I've been living in France for almost 3 years now I can speak fairly well and understand a lot also.

When I say I speak fairly well thats my opinion I'm rarely stuck completely is a situation. I have done my permis moto in france, gotten a mortage etc, probably through shear determination at times.

What I would like to know is how do you go about getting your level tested offically?

Can anyone recommend is there any good online courses I can work on my writen French.

I have tried the centre sociale for lessons but I have to travel with my job from time to time and also most of the courses are on during the day.

[quote user="Cat"]I thought that too, I think that the first level must be a very basic one.[/quote]

The first level is really basic , when I went to Uni to study french here I had not studied french before but had lived in France for about a year.  I was tested and started at level 3 which is B1 (A1 and A2 being the first 2), after 13 weeks at 24 hours of study per week I passed this level and went on to the next level. 

EDIT, on the point above about A level equivalent levels , I would say that my spoken french and oral comprehension are superior when compared to your standard A level student but they would be much better at written expression than I am as starting at level 3 as above, I missed out on a lot of the basics and often make stupid errors in written work.  I'm about to enrol on an A level french course now that I'm back in the UK, I'm hoping to fill the gaps!!

In the same vein, my OH has studied and passed A1 and A2.1 at the Alliance Francaise in The Hague.  He is trying very hard to find employment in France (there are jobs in his area of expertise), but he is concerned about his French, despite our many neighbours saying he is quite good and comprehensible (and I don't think they're being kind - correcting our French is a village pastime in the nicest possible way!).  Do you think these AF qualifications would help, and would it be worth studying for a higher level to make his CV more attractive to prospective employers?  I think the DALF (?) might at too high a level.

I am in the process of finding someone to translate his CV - which is quite technical and therefore beyond my capabilities (I don't understand some of it in English!).  Anyone know of a good, reasonably priced translation service?

Incidentally I got as far as B2.1 before other stuff got in the way.  I did French A level a long time ago, and did a bilingual secretarial course, and studied French at university (dropped out after 2 years - I am definitely not of an academic mind-set!).  Perhaps I should look at a recognised (in France) qualification - could only help - and times are hard.... all hands on deck in this household[:)]

Fi