Which French expressions do you find quaint or amusing?

mint

Had a woman on the phone today, asking for the OH.  I smiled as I said, non, il n'est pas là.  It's so illogical, don't you think?  He's not here, that's the natural thing to say, isn't it?  So, why do we say he is not "là", there?

Yes, I know, him being a man, he isn't always all "there". but, even so........[:D]

Next one is:

Les feuilles mortes se ramassent à la pelle.......see, I did look at the original French lyrics kindly provided by someone here when I mentioned the song "Autumn Leaves".

That, too, made me smile because I can't see the leaves ramassent-ing themselves.  Surely it's YOU who ramassez them?

Can anyone think of other French expressions (or indeed English ones) that make us smile?

Look, the evenings are long and could be boring unless we try to entertain each other?([:D] smile of encouragement).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, you've hit on one of my pet peeves there coops, no matter what language the lie is written in!

You find the tab, you pull ... nothing.   You try again, using the damp end of the tea-towel ... still nothing.

You resort to a pointy knife... and stab the beast to death [6]

[quote user="Cat"]

Ooh, you've hit on one of my pet peeves there coops, no matter what language the lie is written in!

You find the tab, you pull ... nothing.   You try again, using the damp end of the tea-towel ... still nothing.

You resort to a pointy knife... and stab the beast to death [6]

[/quote]There was a wonderful episode of Curb Your Ethusiasm a couple of weeks ago when Larry cut himself trying to open something.  In the end he went to a shop and bought a Swiss Army type of knife so he'd be able to tackle the packaging properly next time.  On the way home he spots a road accident and finds he needs the knife to cut a seatbelt to let one of the victims out.  Of course, the knife itself is wrapped an un-openable plastic package.[:-))]

[quote user="JohnRoss"]Huit à Huit open at 8.15 and closed at 7.15!................................JR[/quote]

Oh yes, 8 à 8 are brilliant for super signs. The one down the road from our Appart'Hotel in the Bay of Arcachon area in June 2002 opened at 8h15 - 8h45 for bread, opened again at 9h15 then shut for lunch at 12h15 and opened again in the afternoon 14h15 til 19h15. Except for some (quiet) days when they got fed-up and closed early.

Mind you the World Cup was on TV - but I don't know whether that had anything to do with it.

Happy Days.

Sue

The expression that always gets my back up is another use of "la", the one I call the "you must be a mind-reader.

It usually follows someone describing someone or something that they dont like and they leave the sentence unended by saying "mais la!..........., la euhh............................. and often with an interrogative "heh"? or "Hein"! thrown in for good measure to amke sure that you agree. 

I even hear it frequently on the telly, perhaps it is a perceived form of politeness but being someone that likes to call a spade a spade whenever anyone starts the 'la euhh" nonsence with me I reply "shais pas comment lire les pensées des autres donc il faut m'expliquer -boubourse"! [6]