Words you cannot pronounce

Chancer

[quote user="5-element"]One of my favourites, for a french speaker, is Worcester sauce....[:D][/quote]Funnily enough, I recommended this to my physio to put on his croques.  I gave it the full, correct Worcestershire treatment. He loves it but he still has trouble pronouncing it although he's very determined to get it right.

[quote user="bubbles"]The French round our way snigger quite remorselessly at the English saying: "Carra - four" instead of: "Car - four"[/quote]

But, Bubbles, in our neck of the woods, we do say Carrefour.

We tend to pronounce all the syllables.  A young girl is not a fee but a feeye.

And, when someone offers us a drink and we only want a small one, we say:  une petite goutte.

If you don't pronounce everything, the locals pretend they don't understand you!

Our friends were amused/astonished to hear that UK councils cut verges at the side of roads.

I suspect that it would be dodgy for some to talk about the game/sport of Quilles de Huit.

Personally, I still try my best to avoid asking for a spoon (just in case).

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="bubbles"]The [/quote]

But, Bubbles, in our neck of the woods, we do say Carrefour.

We tend to pronounce all the syllables.  A young girl is not a fee but a feeye.

And, when someone offers us a drink and we only want a small one, we say:  une petite goutte.

If you don't pronounce everything, the locals pretend they don't understand you!

[/quote]

Like one of my favorite songs

Cecilleya ma filleya

Hi, Betty, how are you?  Thought you'd left us forever.

Yeah, all those words mentioned on the other thread:  also seuil and deuil.

Then, of course, there is fauteuille. (not sure if I've spelt that right but I know how it's said!)...the "au" sound is often mispronounced by Brits.

Don't stay away so long in future, will you?  Need a few more like you to get a good old argument going and liven up the Forum, see?