Addresses in France

[quote user="meiklejohn"]It seems very short!

It is as follows

Le Bourg

My village

Postcode

Is this right?

Does this mean all the addresses in my village are more or less the same and only the names are different?

It is a very small village to be fair[/quote]

Just about right. Postcode comes just before your village - like so:

Le Bourg

16*** Your Village

and all the addresses are about the same - some places have now started to number the houses. Postie knows who you are - don't worry.

See Here http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2400242/ShowPost.aspx

Le Bourg is a lieu-dit/quartier of your village and the postie will know who lives there.

Our village had lots of these lieu-dits La Ville, Le Grand Coin, etc etc. As long as the village name is clear as is the postcode, there is never a problem.

Our village grew and the Mairie ended up giving every road and street in the main village a name and each property a number. Our commune was large and the hamlets continued with the usual system.

Le bourg shared by many?  That's nothing.  The postcode in more rural villages could be shared by a dozen or so villages. 

The postie seems to know where to find you just on the basis of your name.

My French teacher used to say the following sort of shows the "importance" or "prominence" of your address:

Right at the bottom are the Chez as in Chez X

Then the Lieu -Dit , L-D

Then the Bourg

Then, I am not sure of precedence but the chemins, the allées, the rues, the boulevards, the places, etc etc.

I was in a lieu dit and now I am in an allée so I suppose you could say I have moved up in the world.[:D]  My main concern is not to do with status, it's to do with ordering stuff from M & S.

As M & S sends their goods via Chronopost (the worst of postal services imaginable), you need a "proper" address with a number and a road to be fairly sure of getting your order.  Chronopost does not bother with Chez, L-D, Chemin and just postal codes and village names.  They will merely send you a letter claiming that you are out when they try to deliver and would you like to contact their office (of course a prime charge number) or collect from their depot?

So, apart from snobbishness, your address could have practical issues for you!  Look, half in jest so please do not come on here, spewing steam and venom and telling me I am stupid, ignorant or anything else that I already know about![:P]

Hi Sweet,

I've had no problem with M & S delivering using the following formula:

Name

Hamlet

Village

Postcode (because it's an English site)

Dept

France

The same can be said of Amazon UK and various other UK based companies.

Forget what your French teacher told you and use your own common sense when filling out your address.[:)]

RR, never had any problems with Amazon, Darty, German sportwear company, etc.  Only with M & S.  In fact, I posted at boring length about this last year.

Here is the thread:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1976529/ShowPost.aspx

Sorry to drag all this up again but, sometimes, it helps with the spleen![:D]

Now that I have a proper address with a number and road, I might even consider ordering from M & S again.

BTW, I spoke at length with different bods from M & S and told them how many of us Brits (their main customers in France) do live at addresses with chez, L-D and just village names and postcodes and they were amazed that delivery had been made into such an issue.

As I was in cross mode, I laid it on thick about how they were losing customers and goodwill through the inefficiency and apathy of Chronopost and I think that did make them sit up a bit and took notice because, as you see from the previous thread, I did get my delivery in the end!

[quote user="sweet 17"] Le bourg shared by many?  That's nothing.  The postcode in more rural villages could be shared by a dozen or so villages. 

The postie seems to know where to find you just on the basis of your name. [/quote]

Exactly, Sweets.  In our very rural part of southern Manche, one postcode is shared by an entire community of communes (9 in our case).  We're outside the bourg itself, so our address is lieu-dit/postcode/village/(country) Our post always arrives OK. [:D]

No problem with letters or cards or anything that goes through la Poste.

What I posted about (no pun intended) was to do with Chronopost the dreadfulness of whose service is well documented on the internet.

No argument about bog standard "courriers" just this particular company......

[quote user="virginia"]All the replies are correct. Just remember that if you have a friend visting you who is expecting mail, the address must include "Chez Meiklejohn" so the postie knows which of the many similar addresses he must deliver the mail to.
Virginia
[/quote]

Not sure how "Chez Meiklejohn" would help our postwoman but I will take your word for it.

John