Smartphone dictionaries

Derek M

Hi

As I'll be in France for a few weeks this summer and having just bought a smartphone I was wondering if anyone has any experience of English-French dictionaries on such devices? I've got a Nokia N8 and thinking it would be much better than carrying around a hard copy.

Derek

I don't know if its available for your phone but I got the collins app for my iphone about £15, also have a translator app but you need to be on wifi which is not always possible but from memory that was free, certainly I would recommend the collins dictionary

Hi, thanks for the responses. I've now tried the demo versions of both Collins and Larousse and for some reason Larousse came up with an error every time I looked up a word, so couldn't trust that software even though I've got one of their hard dictionaries which is very good. Someone else suggested the Oxford-Hachette dictionary which also looks very good. I guess it's between those two at this stage if there are no better ones around. If anyone has any experience of these it would be great to hear about it.

D.

Just to let everyone know I ended up getting a dictionary from the Nokia store made by a company called IdiomaX. I was attracted to it because it comes with an integrated conjugator. Whether it's particularly comprehensive  or not remains to be seen but first uses seem good. And at £8 it's not too bad.