Meaning of "on y est dessus"

Derek M

Hi

I recently received an email containing the phrase "On y est dessus, tout remarchera cette semaine". Out of curiosity I checked my French dictionaries and search engines for a translation of "on y est dessus", but can't find one, yet it appears to be a common enough saying judging by the Google hits. Is it something like "above all"? Could someone put me out of my misery please? 

[quote user="Derek M"]Hi

I recently received an email containing the phrase "On y est dessus, tout remarchera cette semaine". Out of curiosity I checked my French dictionaries and search engines for a translation of "on y est dessus", but can't find one, yet it appears to be a common enough saying judging by the Google hits. Is it something like "above all"? Could someone put me out of my misery please? [/quote]

This particular use of  'y' is a regional quirk found in several areas of France.

Although frequently used in colloquial, spoken French, the expression is grammatically incorrect and should not be used in written French (or even in spoken French [Www]...)

It is correctly used:

• In general terms or abstract concepts (city, country ...), where "y" replaces a noun preceded by the preposition 

à or en or chez.
    • Il va en Chine tous les ans - Il y va tous les ans (He goes to China every year - He goes there every year.)
    • Il pense partir à Paris. - Il y pense. (He's thinking of going to Paris - He's thinking about it.)
    • Il va chez le médecin. - Il y va (He is going to the doctor's. - He's going there)
  • With some verbs like penser (to think), songer (to think), se fier (to trust), s'intéresser (to be interested in) which cannot be preceded by lui or eux:
    • Elle pense à Nicolas - Elle y pense. (She think of Nicolas - She think of him.)
    • Il se fie à son médecin - Il s'y fie. (He trusts his doctor - He trusts him.)

Reading material.

Here endeth the French lesson... [:P]