Can someone translate please.

Judie

I was reading an account of a Chatentais man who was caught driving with 3 grams of alcohol in his blood and no driving licence for 42 years, this morning when I was surprised by a comment about the news item; as follows;

Pourquoi confisquer le véhicule de ce monsieur,on ne confisque jamais

les véhicules de hautes gammes de ces richards anglais qui roulent pour

s'amuser sur nos routes a plus de 250 Km/h

What are richards anglais? I can guess what they mean but I was wondering if it's just a stereotyping on the part of the commenter.

As many of the English that French people have as neighbours are second home owners  (and therefore have a certain amount of capital) there is a generalising of the idea that all English people in France are wealthy

I think 'richard'  is  a bit like 'clochard' or 'vicelard'...the 'ard' ending expresses a certain distaste.

[quote user="NormanH"]As many of the English that French people have as neighbours are second home owners  (and therefore have a certain amount of capital) there is a generalising of the idea that all English people in France are wealthy

I think 'richard'  is  a bit like 'clochard' or 'vicelard'...the 'ard' ending expresses a certain distaste.

[/quote]

This is quite likely -  enough people have sufficient English to know the word "rich" which is anyhow basically the same in French, and as NormanH says, putting the "ard" on is done often.  The fact that it also happens to be an English Christian name (yes, I know it's also used in French occasionally) would seem to be most appropriate to use it in that way.