l'origine de l'expression

mint

[quote user="NormanH"]But surely the UMP now is Copé en deux? [6]

[/quote]

[:D] [:D][:D] - you were obviously on very good form last night, Norman!

The quotation is an excellent one to take to French class this morning - bound to be much more interesting than the ones Madame usually brings along for us to discuss!

Great idea GG - and being Madame (although not your Madame) I will bring this to my French class this morning. That, plus "Le français est-il un langage animal?" (expressions which involve an animal of some kind). The two will go very nicely together.[;-)] So today's theme will be "le zoo". Sorted.

5-E, yours sounds a tougher class than ours - more philosophical, perhaps. But then it's a French French class! Does anybody ever go to sleep at the back? I'd better not make any more comments - I don't know how many called Madame are listening in - mine might just be among them!  [:D] I think my favourite session will be in 2 weeks when we all go out for lunch to my favourite restaurant locally!  [:D]

I wouldn't say more philosophical GG. I try to make it a bit tough so that people have to show commitment... I hope there might be a meal for the last pre-Xmas session, but in any case I plan to make them sing "La Marseillaise" again - only 10 people,  it's an advanced conversation group.

We did try before singing "La Marseillaise" and I just dissolved into hysterical laughter as they were all singing a different tune, some were several words behind or ahead. So you could say I am doing this for my own entertainment. [:D] Nothing philosophical at all. [:P]

When you mention la Marseillaise, I think of 2 things.  One is playing it on the piano just before I go to wherever so that I re-connect with the tune and I do always take les paroles with me.  The second is PatF who used to say just listen to the sound when they sing "mugir ces féroces soldats" because THAT'S the way to pronounce the French "u"![:D]

BTW, WHERE is PatF these days?

After la Marseillaise, we sing God Save the Queen if it's the 11 November ceremony at the monument aux morts.  I think that's a sort of concession to the Brits from the church locally whose representatives always bring a wreath (we are not called Dordogneshire for nothing!)

If our Canadian friend is also at the ceremony, he will say what about singing the Canadian national anthem because Canadians died too, you know.  Alas, nobody's interested because none of us can sing it!

In my village the défilée visits both the monument des morts and the cimitiére Anglais, the school-children do readings at the monument and they sing the British anthem at the Commonwealth war graves cemetary, apart from the teacher making them say gras shious Queen they do a far better job of it than I do of la marseillaise.

The only low note is how few people attend, myself, an old combattant, the members of conseil municipale and the schoolchildren always with just one parent, usually the mother, in fact they are bribed by being allowed to collect tokens a the mairie after the ceremonies to be spent on sweeties which are bought in specially at the boulangerie, by all accounts this measure was adopted after the numbers dropped to single figures.

There is a vin d'honneur offered by the mairie in the village café afterwards and surprise surprise all the fathers attend that despite having ignore the defilée, the mothers being dispatched home with the kids [:(]

[quote user="5-element"]Great idea GG - and being Madame (although not your Madame) I will bring this to my French class this morning. That, plus "Le français est-il un langage animal?" (expressions which involve an animal of some kind). The two will go very nicely together.[;-)] So today's theme will be "le zoo". Sorted.[/quote]

I rather see you more as La Maîtresse, but then I have just watched Suzanne Flon in Un crime au paradis [:D]