Hopeless!

Angie

[quote user="Ron Bolus"]

As a newcomer to Forum, I'm beginning to get the idea of how it works :

[/quote]

[quote user="Ron Bolus"]

Then, we get posters who have about 30,000 postings between them who just carry on talking a prop row of..........

[/quote]

Apologies, but I don't understand what you are trying to say. Perhaps English is not your first language ?

Could I help you rephrase your post ?

Sue

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Ron Bolus"]Then, we get posters who have about 30,000 postings between them who just carry on talking a prop row of.......... very little [/quote]

Yeah, you'll often find on forums that when the original question has been comprehensively answered then the conversation will evolve and move on to other, associated points. It's like a real life chat between acquaintances, you know?

But if such chat annoys you, there's one forum I can totally recommend to you where that sort of conversational progression is frowned upon and strictly managed - try the AngloInfo forum for your area... I'm confident you'll feel at home there and your approach to your life in France - and of course your fluency in the language - will be enthusiastically welcomed. [:)]

No thx Catalpa-----I'm quite happy here. I merely said that, as a newcomer, I was getting the hang of how it all works.

And my harmless remark seems to have resulted in a touch of  raised hackles [:P]

BTW, as I seem to be told never to refer to my fluency in French, I will only say that the French for "raised hackles" is a smashin' couple of words, which sum up much of what the language is all about [:D]

Sorry that I'm being told to go to another Forum when I've only had the temerity to say I'm lucky enough to be fluent in French and that I am beginning to understand the workings of THIS site. Thx for the welcome [:D]

Ron - just ignore them - I do!

It's often difficult when someone new arrives on here and holds up a mirror - the old crusties don;t like what they see. It's almost like ....em........denial?

Now where did I put those rose tinted glasses....?

Chiefluvvie :-)

[quote user="Ron Bolus"]

No thx Catalpa-----I'm quite happy here. I merely said that, as a newcomer, I was getting the hang of how it all works.

And my harmless remark seems to have resulted in a touch of  raised hackles [:P]

BTW, as I seem to be told never to refer to my fluency in French, I will only say that the French for "raised hackles" is a smashin' couple of words, which sum up much of what the language is all about [:D]

Sorry that I'm being told to go to another Forum when I've only had the temerity to say I'm lucky enough to be fluent in French and that I am beginning to understand the workings of THIS site. Thx for the welcome [:D]

[/quote]

Can't speak for anyone else but I welcome anyone who says amusing or controversial (and your post covers both categories) things that also undoubtedly challenge belief [:D]

Anyway, I was mightily amused last Sunday when I was at a lunch organised for about 30 people and I overheard someone talking about me!  Don't know about eavesdroppers never hearing anything good about themselves but, in my case, I heard utter rubbish said about me.  What the person was saying to another was, "isn't it amazing how she can switch between French and English and speak both so well!"

If only...................!  And I only just managed to stop myself from snorting.......

Thank you for the kind encouragement Chief-----you are obviously happy in your life and I bet you couldn't be curmudgeonly if you tried [;-)]I'll bear in mind your advice and I will watch out for crusties [:D][:D][:D]  Thx....Ron

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]Ron - just ignore them - I do!

It's often difficult when someone new arrives on here and holds up a mirror - the old crusties don;t like what they see. It's almost like ....em........denial?

Now where did I put those rose tinted glasses....?

Chiefluvvie :-)[/quote]

I don't take offence from the Sweeties----just the crusties [;-)]

I'm new on this forum for a reason, when I don't usually have time to spare---much as I like the site.

I've had a plaster cast put on my leg----I was a little too energetic in climbing a tree to lop off a branch-----and I'm finding it very difficult to sleep at nights : I'm catnapping durring the day.

So you Miss Nosey have now let the whole Forum know that I am stoooopid [;-)]

And I always have a bad conscience in any case [:D]   You ??[:P]

Well yes sweet17. I think when I first got to France I was a ficelle, but long gone are my baguette days, more like a bâtard or one of those pain de campagne, tres bien cuite as you so well said!

But all are delicious and satisfying in their own way, so I cannot see being a crustie as a derogatory term[Www] which I am fairly sure 'crustie' was meant as.

I suppose that some may imagine that you are writing from paradise.  But maybe not, is that why you are so caustic?

And as I have said on many occasions my french is not wonderful, especially not the written stuff, it is just that franglais is very natural for me.

I've just looked up crustie, but it said I had misspelled it, quite common for me....... but for you????? it said 'brusque and surly and forbidding'. I must say that did make me grin. I cannot say I can't be like any of those, I suppose I can, if the occasion merits, IRL, I'm usually not like that though.

Sorry Chief but I had thought your posting to me ( which has caused a stir ) was meant purely as facetious and as a bit of support from a newcomer who wass getting some comments from a few "grumpy" folk  ( no names mentioned Betty [:D] ).  But I see it is some sort of ongoing feud of which I am no part and don't want to be.

BTW, I think it's pretty impolite to criticise anyone's use of the French language.

I shall no longer use the word "crustie" even when faced with the few grumpy (and I stress VERY FEW" ) folk who obviously just aren't happy or just dislike upstart new members.

I find this Forum too interesting in the main ( with some very nice and welcoming members who outnumber those who obviously resent newcomers or fluent French-speakers) to support your earlier comment, Chief  

Hey, thanks for the namecheck, Ron, old bean. If disabusing people of the belief that 12 months in France makes you bilingual is "grumpy" then I am guilty as charged. Unfortunately, as I derive much of my income from picking up the pieces when people discover that it doesn't quite work like that in the vast majority of cases, I believe I'm qualified to comment. If my comments don't meet with your wholehearted approval, I'm completely ambivalent.

Betty isn't grumpy. Betty is very straightforward and that is what I like about her. I don't always agree with her, but I respect  and like her very much.

In fact Betty's attitude to life, on here at least, is very like most of the french people I know. They tell it like it is and if there are disagreements tant pis. And I love that about 'my' France. And I admit the, what I construed as real bad arguments à table when I first arrived, became fascinating for me and I grew to thoroughly enjoy them and join in. So maybe they have moulded me too, so much in France has.

I don't care what anyone here thinks or says about my french. I lived a very full life in France with the french I learned. And I'll always be tied to France too. Maybe I just moved to France at a good age to get stuck in, for it was very hard in so many ways in the olde days.

And if the luvvie thinks I'm crustie, well, so be it.

There are some very good people on this board. I have nothing against new posters, au contraire, I wish we'd get far more. Surely it is far harder to make proper life long friends in a new country?  One is sort of vunerable making friends anywhere but especially in a different culture with for me at least a new language. Whereas posting is in the comfort of our homes and if we don't like it, we just sign off and say llamedos.

[quote user="Rabbie"]Idun, you must remember that Chiefluvvie is a self confessed disenchanted person who couldn't leave France fast enough. Why she still wants to post on a forum for Francophiles escapes me.[/quote]

Let me help you out as well Rabbie - Mauritius is French speaking - does that help?

I guess you could ask idun the same question - she lives in the UK I believe? Or is it only UK residents/expats that can be 'Francophiles'

Chiefluvvie (joining you from 'paradise'!)

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"][quote user="Rabbie"]Idun, you must remember that Chiefluvvie is a self confessed disenchanted person who couldn't leave France fast enough. Why she still wants to post on a forum for Francophiles escapes me.[/quote]

Let me help you out as well Rabbie - Mauritius is French speaking - does that help?

I guess you could ask idun the same question - she lives in the UK I believe? Or is it only UK residents/expats that can be 'Francophiles'

Chiefluvvie (joining you from 'paradise'!)[/quote]I am well aware that Mauritius is French speaking. I spent part of my childhood there. 

My dictionary defines "Francophile" as someone who loves France and not as a french speaker. The tone of your posts consistently sends out the message that you are not one of France's greatest fans so I rest my case

Living in the UK and learning French for just over a year, I've picked up some very useful tips from the early part of this thread, especially Betty's verb tip.

I've never liked grammar to put it mildly, but with the help of my tutor, have stared to grasp the nettle and not only see the rationale and logic of it, but weirdly, am starting to enjoy the challenge of it.

The very daunting aspect of the thread is the obvious fact that unless one lives in France, fluency is never going to happen.

I'll just have to settle for learning as best I can under the circumstances and aim to be better each time we holiday there.

We were in the Alpes-Maritimes recently, and my extremely basic French was crucial to communicate. The locals were charming in the extreme given my efforts to communicate and reciprocated with amazing generosity.

We love France!