Un faire-valoir...how would you say this in English?

NormanH

I am used to the verb 'faire valoir' in the sense of (re)claim, assert emphasise (faire valoir vos droits/vos engagements)

However French is a language which is fond of nominilisation (using nouns where English might use a verb or phrase) and there is one such

a 'faire-valoir'

This implies the idea that the faire valoir is only there to show up the good qualities of the other, for example a chubby friend of a stunning girl, or an apparently dull companion to a charming and witty chracter.

In a comedy duo we might call this the 'straight man' or 'the stooge', but what would we say in general English as a Noun for that person out of the Comedy tradition ?  I am sure there is a teen slang term which is pretty cynical for this bit it escapes me.

The French friend who raised this claims that the word is 'sidekick', but apart from that being very American I judge that it is not sufficiently dismissive of the minor chracter.

Thanks all...That's exactly the sense I was looking for Betty, but I have obviously been away too long, since it is a new one on me....

Looking at the shape and pockmarked  surface of a grenade it would seem to be a very 'imageé' term for the poor creature

[:-))]

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]I'm afraid it's a little more convoluted than that Norman. It infers that when a group of men spots the good-looking girl with her unattractive friend one of the male group volunteers to jump on the grenade to save the others.....
[/quote]

[:D][:D][:D][:D]