While and Whilst

JandM

It's a stretch putting this in the French Language box because it's about the English language, but there you are. There isn't a box for English, but it's language nonetheless.

Can anybody explain the difference between "while" and "whilst"? I was asked by a francophone Belgian the other week, and was completely stumped for an answer, except to say that whilst is used by people who want to sound more educated than they really are, like the policeman who says: "I was proceeding in a northerly direction." A bit snobbish and probably wrong, but that's why I avoid the word.

I wouldn't mind the use of whilst if those who use it also said wouldst and shouldst etcetera, but you don't often hear or see these words, while whilst is rife. Maybe it's to confuse foreigners?

I recieved zero education in the English language so just have to go on my instincts and what sounds right spoken by articulate people, moreover I am losing my English and was stuggling to be coherent today with an English client.

However for me "while " is used to describe an action that takes place at the same time as something else, "whilst" to me is used when you want to express , "while it is true that..............."

The OP says: "Iwouldn't mind the use of whilst if those who use it also said wouldst and shouldst etcetera, but you don't often hear or see these words, while whilst is rife. Maybe it's to confuse foreigners?"

That would be wrong anyway, surely. "Whilst" is a conjunction.. "Would" and "should" are modal verbs. If you're looking for people to use "-st" (wrongly) on all similar words, ask them to start saying "andst" or "butst" or "thenst"

Just saying.

[quote user="AnOther"]I really have no idea what motivates such a question on a Forum like this when the answer is a simple Google search away [8-)]

[url]http://lmgtfy.com/?q=while+versus+whilst[/url]

[/quote]

Sorry AnO although you are technically correct, google will not give different ideas and such interesting discussions as those that have already appeared  for this subject from a group of people. Basically that's what forums are about, people feel comfortable asking other forum members questions well I do, and some of us enjoy different opinions.[:D]  Google may well be available but it's a bit soulless. Also may I point out that not all information on search engines is 100% as some sites are editable and there is often a lot of misinformation out there.

I would have given pretty much the same answer as in the OP. 'While' is standard, 'whilst' is a bit extra-formal or affected, whichever way you look at it.

'Though' and 'although' is similar, but the other way round if you think of 'although' as 'standard' and 'though' tending towards the informal.

It's also quite a regional thing. In some parts of the country, "while" has an implied meaning of "until". In those areas, people often use "whilst" to differentiate meaning. Which is neither formal nor an affectation.

It's funny how it seems to be "fair game" for people to judge others for using language that is correct, but woe betide anyone who pulls someone up on their spelling, for example.

I don't know if it's correct but I use "while" if I mean a short time and "whilst" if I mean a longer period.

For example, will you hold on to the dog while I shut the door?  Could you manage on your own whilst I go away on the world cruise I have been secretly planning?

[quote user="AnOther"]While you might be right Nick and whilst it's true that you have to sort the wheat from the chaff I'm still happy to while my time away on Google [/quote]

Absobloominlutly, I use it a lot and of course it is a great source of information, but I think it's good to get an opinion from a human sometimes, although I'm not sure that all forum members are human beings.[:D]